Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

I'll throw my hat into the Deep Dish Pizza ring.....

I've been doing weekly pizzas for several years now, but I've got two firsts tonight:  first deep-dish pizza and first time doing pizza on the egg.  I've always wondered if you could do pizza in a cast iron skillet and it wasn't until I joined the forum until I saw others doing it.  Had to try one myself.  So, here goes....

I made the crust and sauce yesterday afternoon and let both sit overnight in the fridge.  Got home from work today, oiled up the 12" lodge and threw the dough in and let it come up to temp for about 1 1/2 hrs while I got everything prepared and the egg up to 425*.

The dough is pretty straightforward:  About 3 cups bread flower, 1 cup warm water, a packet of yeast, salt, and a couple of glugs of olive oil.  Mix it up, kneed it and let it rise in the fridge for a day.

The sauce comes from here.  I didn't have any celery, so I doubled up on the onion and added a few red pepper flakes.

Here's everything ready to go....

Cheese and 'roni on the bottom...

Next come the veggies....

Sauce on top....

Another round of cheese....

Onto the egg it goes.....

Here we are about 45 minutes later....

A great pizza deserves a great beer...er...good beer...er....any beer.  OK the wife asked me a few days ago to pick up the cheapest beer I could find so she could kill the slugs on her rose bushes.  It was the only thing I had.

It turned out to be a monster, but an oh-so-tasty-monster.

--Brad
Franklin, TN Large BGE
·

Comments

• cazzycazzy Posts: 7,380
    That looks great man! I'd tear that up!'
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ...
    ·
  • ScottborasjrScottborasjr Posts: 2,493
    These deep dish pizza threads are killing me. That looks amazing. Nicely done.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    Pizza looks great! I'll keep the comments about the beer to myself.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,018
    Good looking pizza. I love to change it up with a deep dish from time to time.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,768
    Mighty fine looking pizza, Sir. I've never heard of putting celery into a pizza sauce before...interesting. I won't say anything about the beer either as we've been enjoying some Tecate Light recently. Probably not up to @henapple PBR standards.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • EggucatorEggucator Posts: 184
    looks great. I havent had a natty light since my college and we only got those because we couldn't afford keystone light! :) 
    LBGE
    Zionsville, IN
    ·
  • wbradkingwbradking Posts: 163
    Yep. Natty Light or Old Milwaukee were my college go to beers. All I needed last night was Tetris on the NES and I would have felt 20 years younger.
    Franklin, TN Large BGE
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,483
    My dad used to buy beer that came in a white can and said "Beer" on it from HEB.   Kept us kids from drinking it

·
    I drank my share of "Sterling big mouths" back in the day.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
    Been a looonnnggg time.
    image.jpg 25.1K

·
    When I was in college, we'd buy Mickey's Big Mouths all the time - they were cheap and fortified. Plus they made excellent grenades on road trips (not proud of that).  Youth...losing it probably saves more lives....

·
    Used to get a case of sterling and a 1/5 of maddog 20/20 for less than 10 bucks.

·
  • GogogordyGogogordy Posts: 451
    We went the personal sized pan pizza route....direct on the second story and they came out perfectly!

Sausage/cashew/artichoke and a separate artichoke.

Momma also whipped up a blueberry dessert pizza which was, well delish.

Having enjoyed my early (legal) drinking years in the Pacific NW I have many  fond memories of Schmidt or "animal beer" as it was known locally.

It was $3.29 for a twelver and no CRV fees back in the old days!

When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
    ·
  • wbradkingwbradking Posts: 163
    Mickey's Big Mouth, Sterling, MD 20/20...... This should be the "What's wrong with you people" thread.
    Franklin, TN Large BGE
    ·
    Crap.  I thought it was.  Sorry for the hijack!

·
  • Only a Kappa Alpha Order man can make a pizza look that good!
    "This is America Jack!" Cleo McDowell
    ·
  • Pizza looks great. Beer is disgraceful. Consider stepping up to Blatz, a former favorite of mine. A shade above Falstaff, Stroh's, and Drewry's.
    ·
  • BGEGPBGEGP Posts: 47
    Your pizza looks great!
    What temp did you cook the pizza at?  I use a high temp, when I use a pizza stone, never tried the cast iron skillet yet.  I assume you use a lower temp? 
    ·
  • TonyATonyA Posts: 563
    Better than using your Chimay. Which is what would have been going on here I can promise you. Nice pie!
    ·
  • Chris_WangChris_Wang Posts: 1,253
    Nice looking pizza.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

·
  • @BGEGP:  I cooked it at 425* for about 45 min.  When I do a pizza on a stone, I usually do it around 500*  I was just guessing on the time and was concerned about the crust.  It turned out a little overdone, but pretty good overall.

@GoodTimes:  Good call!
    Franklin, TN Large BGE
    ·