Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bulgogi...and other %$#@

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Ill preface this by saying i've been up 28 hours...

Saw a post today about bulgogi...sorry, can't remember who. Being the country boy I am i had to Wiki and find out what the hell it is. Cruising the net I found a recipe for bulgogi burgers and thought...why not. Try finding Korean recipe items in M'boro...not happening. Finally found a recipe containing the items i could get my hands on.
Mixed the ingredients and marinaded the ground sirloin. I asked the butcher at Kroger to grind me two flat iron steaks but she said she couldn't because blah, blah, blah..
.image
Decided to sear instead of reverse sear since it was sirloin but merely seared both sides till 160. Am i the only one that misses medium rare burgers? After @travisstrick got the poopies i'm scared to eat a bloody burger.
They were ok. I'm not an expert on Korean food so i can't say whether i messed up or not. My wife isn't a culinary adventurer so i cooked regular burgers for her. The best part was the nut brown ale...

I probably shouldn't have cooked after being up so long but dammit, that's what eggers do. I didn't want to sleep so i spent all day trying to find an Paella pan. I found one...$225 was the best price I could find so finally i quit. My neighbor stopped by and after our conversation brought me his and a cookbook. Tomorrow I'll try another new cook. Found a low end Wusthof at TJMaxx...better than the butter knife I've been working with.

Henapple...Out.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• travisstrick
    Options
    I still haven't eaten a burger.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I think you should give it another chance after you're well rested.  I've been up for a few days on end before and food doesn't taste right when you're running on fumes. Price for the paella pan is reedunkulous.  Check places like TJ Maxx or garage sales. 

For a medium rare burger,  i would probably want to grind the meat at home myself. Or maybe i just like handling my own meat... 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • mgoblue0484
    Options
    Hey, that was my bulgogi post, I have been recognized by the great and powerful henapple. My life is complete. Try my version, I think it is damn tasty! http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1156927/beef-bulgogi-and-stuffed-hatch-peppers#latest

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options
    The poopies, like the flu and getting fired, are good 2 or 3 times per lifetime to make you stronger.

I had Yaki Mandu and Ramyun soup for lunch today, but it wasn't egged (I don't think).  Love Korean food!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Bulgogi is pretty amazing when it's done right. Before long we'll have you burying jars of kimchee in your backyard.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • henapple
    Options
    @

Hey, that was my bulgogi post, I have been recognized by the great and powerful henapple. My life is complete. Try my version, I think it is damn tasty!

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1156927/beef-bulgogi-and-stuffed-hatch-peppers#latest

Sorry man.. Too tired to go back and find that you had posted it. Yours looked great... Come to salado, cook that and I'll bring the scotch and cigars.

Sorry again.
  • mgoblue0484
    Options
    No need to apologize! Please, we are all adults here. Sounds good, next time I visit my in laws, I'll look you up.

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Nut brown ale is always a win. ;)

Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Here is a link for paella pan
    http://www.tienda.com/paella/products/pp-03.html?kw={keyword}&gclid=CJ6S773b3rkCFatj7AodfyQA7A
    If you want a med rare burger then grind your own from either a brisket or sirloin cut. Grind it fresh and you should be ok. That is the only time I eat med raw hamburger. I trust our butcher, even his ground meat my burger is dead meat walking.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • henapple
    Options
    Being a culinary idiot I had to look this up. The article's premise was that the bacteria lives on the outside flesh only but once ground incorporates itself throughout. Would this not be true of any meat?
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    That is true. There is bacteria present on anything including fresh meat. Most bacteria we ingest does not cause GI problems, but there are some that do. Most all are heat labile at cooking temps and some require high temp and pressure to be neutralized.
    The problem with ground meat is the amount of surface area, how clean was the grinder, the temp storage and the time between when it was ground and when it is consumed...all these are factors for bacterial growth.
    Bacteria is present on a fresh cut of meat, but probably not in the quantity that will cause any problems, and, the time between the grind and consumed, or frozen, is very short. (Most bacteria don't cause problems but there are some that either the bacteria itself or its toxins produced will cause problems)
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    henapple said:
    Being a culinary idiot I had to look this up. The article's premise was that the bacteria lives on the outside flesh only but once ground incorporates itself throughout. Would this not be true of any meat?
    Yes, I think this to be true of any meat. That's why the USDA cooking guidelines have the temps they have. When you think about it, a sirloin steak can be cooked to 145º, but if you grind it for a burger or cube it for kabobs the safe temp is 160º. 
    The bigger question is always the debate on grass finished vs feedlot grain finished cattle. E-Coli count can exist in both, but if I understand it correctly, the count of e-coli on grain finished cattle can be thousands of times higher than on grass finished. it is hard to know what you are eating. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • henapple
    Options
    Does freezing kill the bacteria?
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    henapple said:
    Again, the way I understand it, no. Freezing preserves the bacteria in the state it is in, when it thaws it carries on where it left off before it was "allowed to sleep". When you think about, if freezing killed bacteria, Alaska might be one of the most sterile places on the planet. Unfortunately cooking to temp above what us carnivores prefer is the only true safe method, damn! 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • HeathBar
    Options
    No that's how we store it when doing research. Frozen in either liquid nitrogen or regular freezer.

henapple said:

Again, the way I understand it, no. Freezing preserves the bacteria in the state it is in, when it thaws it carries on where it left off before it was "allowed to sleep". When you think about, if freezing killed bacteria, Alaska might be one of the most sterile places on the planet. Unfortunately cooking to temp above what us carnivores prefer is the only true safe method, damn! 

XL BGE 
  • henapple
    Options
    Going with that theory all meat would be bacteria free in Phoenix AZ during the summer...

:D
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    henapple said:
    Going with that theory all meat would be bacteria free in Phoenix AZ during the summer... :D
    Good plan, sometimes we worry far too much. 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Options
    Yep freezing does not kill bacteria, just suspense it growth.  Most bacteria is harmless to man, but there are some that can do damage or they produce toxins that can cause gastric distress or worse.
    Interesting read:
    Again for ground beef it is: cleanliness, storage temp, time between grind and consumption, and temp cooked that is important.