Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bread on the pizza stone?

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Has anyone done bread directly on the pizza stone rather than CI dutch oven? I burned the bottom of my bread tonight and am wondering how it would be on the pizza stone.
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• gerhardk
    Options
    Nice crumb!  Did you bake with the stone on the platesetter?  I find that you need a small air space between the platesetter and the pizza stone, I use the feet that came with the BGE.

Gerhard
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @hapster has if I am recalling correctly. He uses pizza dough to make the loaf.
  • DMW
    Options
    @gerhardk I had the platesetter legs up then grate, dutch ovens on the grate. The bottom was the only part burned so not sure if it was on too long or if the dutch ovens were too hot initially. Hey, it's an opportunity to try again. :)
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    i put my stone on a grid at felt level, with the setter underneath. The bread goes onto a cold stone and they enter the 350-400º egg together. Crust does not burn. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • DMW
    Options
    @Skiddymarker Do the loaves hold their shape not being in something like a dutch oven?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Rick1
    Rick1 Posts: 81
    Options
    Yes direct on the stone. Plate setter legs down. This bread is from a recipe in the BGE cookbook.
  • dougbacker
    Options
    +1 on the cold stone

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2013
    Options

DMW said:
    @Skiddymarker Do the loaves hold their shape not being in something like a dutch oven?
    Depends on the recipe, but they do hold their shape, think of French bread or rolls, no pan for many of them. Favourite is Focaccia, it is very similar to pizza dough. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gerhardk
    Options
    I guess all roads lead to Rome, I am in the heating the pizza stone camp.

Gerhard
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Yeah, I've done a lot of loaves on the pizza stone. I find that the stone on the grill over the inverted 'setter works a little better than stone spaced above the 'setter legs down. Just let everything preheat.

The shape of the loaf depends some on how hydrated the dough is, and how well one has formed the loaf.

I'm not good at loaf forming. So I got a crutch, and bought a ceramic cloche. In either the Egg or the kitchen oven, I've not had a failure.
  • DMW
    Options
    Thanks everyone, will try this weekend.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• EmandMsDad
    Options
    i do platesetter legs up, grate on that, stone on grate. Pre heat to 450 for good "oven spring". Have been doing it this way for a while, never burned a bottom.