Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How much sulfur smell is too much - pork butt?

Options
Pacuare
Pacuare Posts: 77
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
I have the egg lit and ready to go.  I was prepping two pork butts with sell by dates of tomorrow to throw on the egg tonight.  Holy sulfur smell.  I opened each pork butt and the smell was room clearing.  While trying to not breathe through my nose I rinsed each butt thoroughly, trimmed the fat off, and rinsed them again.  The sulfur smell is still very strong.  They have been sitting out for thirty minutes.  I am tempted to shut the egg down and return the meat.  

How much sulfur smell is too much?  I don't want to taste sulfur when the butts are done tomorrow.  I also think I need to go stand over the daisy wheel and inhale some smoke to get the lingering sulfur smell of out of nose.  Yuck.

Comments

• Pacuare
    Options
    I sprayed febreeze air freshener and lit candles and waited another 15 minutes. At that point one of the butts barely smelled and the other still smelled bad. I threw the good one on the egg and the other one went back to Kroger. Hopefully we will have some good pork butt to eat tomorrow.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I've heard about but never experienced the sulfur smell. Sounds like you did the right thing. After 15 minutes smell gone -on the Egg. Smell still there-gone.
    Options
    If the smell is still there after you rise it, toss it. Not worth what could happen.