Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

How much sulfur smell is too much - pork butt?

PacuarePacuare Posts: 75
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
I have the egg lit and ready to go.  I was prepping two pork butts with sell by dates of tomorrow to throw on the egg tonight.  Holy sulfur smell.  I opened each pork butt and the smell was room clearing.  While trying to not breathe through my nose I rinsed each butt thoroughly, trimmed the fat off, and rinsed them again.  The sulfur smell is still very strong.  They have been sitting out for thirty minutes.  I am tempted to shut the egg down and return the meat.  

How much sulfur smell is too much?  I don't want to taste sulfur when the butts are done tomorrow.  I also think I need to go stand over the daisy wheel and inhale some smoke to get the lingering sulfur smell of out of nose.  Yuck.

·

Comments

• I sprayed febreeze air freshener and lit candles and waited another 15 minutes. At that point one of the butts barely smelled and the other still smelled bad. I threw the good one on the egg and the other one went back to Kroger. Hopefully we will have some good pork butt to eat tomorrow.
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    I've heard about but never experienced the sulfur smell. Sounds like you did the right thing. After 15 minutes smell gone -on the Egg. Smell still there-gone.
  • If the smell is still there after you rise it, toss it. Not worth what could happen.
    ·