Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Bread on the pizza stone?

DMWDMW Posts: 6,812
Has anyone done bread directly on the pizza stone rather than CI dutch oven? I burned the bottom of my bread tonight and am wondering how it would be on the pizza stone.
My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
·

Comments

• Nice crumb!  Did you bake with the stone on the platesetter?  I find that you need a small air space between the platesetter and the pizza stone, I use the feet that came with the BGE.

Gerhard
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,296
    @hapster has if I am recalling correctly. He uses pizza dough to make the loaf.
    ·
  • DMWDMW Posts: 6,812
    @gerhardk I had the platesetter legs up then grate, dutch ovens on the grate. The bottom was the only part burned so not sure if it was on too long or if the dutch ovens were too hot initially. Hey, it's an opportunity to try again. :)
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
  • i put my stone on a grid at felt level, with the setter underneath. The bread goes onto a cold stone and they enter the 350-400º egg together. Crust does not burn. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
    @Skiddymarker Do the loaves hold their shape not being in something like a dutch oven?
    Morgantown, PA

·
  • Rick1Rick1 Posts: 77
    Yes direct on the stone. Plate setter legs down. This bread is from a recipe in the BGE cookbook.
    image.jpg 119.6K
    ·
  • +1 on the cold stone

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,060
    edited September 2013

DMW said:
    @Skiddymarker Do the loaves hold their shape not being in something like a dutch oven?
    Depends on the recipe, but they do hold their shape, think of French bread or rolls, no pan for many of them. Favourite is Focaccia, it is very similar to pizza dough. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • I guess all roads lead to Rome, I am in the heating the pizza stone camp.

Gerhard
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,518
    Yeah, I've done a lot of loaves on the pizza stone. I find that the stone on the grill over the inverted 'setter works a little better than stone spaced above the 'setter legs down. Just let everything preheat.

The shape of the loaf depends some on how hydrated the dough is, and how well one has formed the loaf.

I'm not good at loaf forming. So I got a crutch, and bought a ceramic cloche. In either the Egg or the kitchen oven, I've not had a failure.
    ·
    Thanks everyone, will try this weekend.
    Morgantown, PA

·
  • i do platesetter legs up, grate on that, stone on grate. Pre heat to 450 for good "oven spring". Have been doing it this way for a while, never burned a bottom.
    ·