Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Re: Moldy Egg

Hey folks!

First of all, I am loving this forum... been spending a lot of time on here researching different recipes and such.  

I have a slight problem and I was wondering if anyone else had encountered it before?

I recently moved into a new house that has an open back deck (my old house's deck was covered). Expecting that my eggs were going to be exposed to the elements, I purchased the Egg Covers from my local retailer. I have both the Large and Small versions of the BGE. Generally,  I use the large more and the small ends up sitting unused. In any case, I went to use the small last week and it was covered with mold inside! 

I was able to get rid of it by lighting up the egg and burning it around 900-1000 degrees with the assistance of a hair dryer. Is there any way to prevent this from happening again short of covering my back deck?  :)

Thanks in advance!!!

-Josh

SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

Comments

• I cover my Egg tightly, and never have mold issues.  I think it's 'cause I leave the bottom vent open (screen closed) so it can breathe.
    Large BGE -- Greensboro!

• I cover my Egg tightly, and never have mold issues.  I think it's 'cause I leave the bottom vent open (screen closed) so it can breathe.
    +1
    Chicago, Illinois
  • Thanks guys! I had never thought to leave the vent open...
    SBGE December 2012 •  XLBGE December 2013 •  Yoder YS640 July

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,489
    If it's going to sit for a while, make sure you burn off any food particles/grease from the last cook.  Thats where your mold is going to start.