Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chipped egg

Options
My egg was at my in-laws house and had an unfortunate accident.  A tree limb fell onto it.  Not a direct hit, but a branch smacked it good.  Bent the handle and left a chip in both the dome and lid directly below the handle.  Will this manifest itself into a crack later?  Any remedy for the issue?   I will post photos if need be.  Thanks.

Comments

• Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    Options
    I would definitely be worried about expansion! Pretty new at this myself but hope all the best for you and your egg.
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    More chance of something developing if you leave the chip raw. Your dealer should have some touch up paint which matches the ceramic color fired into your egg. Even if he doesn't just take your rain cap or whatever to an art supply store. There you should be able to fairly match the color with a small inexpensive bottle of acrylic paint. The sooner the better so that raw ceramic doesn't get greasy.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    RRP said:
    More chance of something developing if you leave the chip raw. Your dealer should have some touch up paint which matches the ceramic color fired into your egg. Even if he doesn't just take your rain cap or whatever to an art supply store. There you should be able to fairly match the color with a small inexpensive bottle of acrylic paint. The sooner the better so that raw ceramic doesn't get greasy.
    Or absorb water and freeze, depending on where yo live. Great advice from @RRP - keep a glaze on the ceramic. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!