Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First crack at BGE Paella

Got this recipe from a fellow Egghead on Twitter. It has it all- Shrimp, mussels, chicken, sausage. Not sure I would do anything different. It was a definite hit with our group.
paella.JPG 88.4K
·

Comments

• RACRAC Posts: 1,446
    Look's great! Love me some Paella.

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • @RAC  you cooking again at Salado this year?

Springram Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
    ·
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,446

@Springram - Not sure yet. I am working on it. That weekend is one of our grandkids birthday so it depends on when they have the party but I hope I can.

How about you.

Sorry @C2egger - Don't mean to hi-jack your post.                        

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • BotchBotch Posts: 3,201
    How was the "rice crust" from the bottom of the pan (sofrito, sopresetta, damn what was it called??)?  
    Yours is certainly loaded, looks delish!  

Live fast, die young, and leave a well-marbled corpse.  

Ogden, Utard.  
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,425
    Recipe pleeeeeaaaasssseeee
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Botch said:
    How was the "rice crust" from the bottom of the pan (sofrito, sopresetta, damn what was it called??)?  
    Yours is certainly loaded, looks delish!  
    The sofrito is the base of tomato and onion that you start with.  The "crust" on the rice is called the socarrat. 
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • that looks so gooooooood
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LBGE 2013 - MiniMax 2015 - Seemingly every accessory the fine folks at CGS sell - Fightin' Texas Aggie till I die - Gig 'Em - Located in the bright lights of Dallas
    ·
  • The socarrat was very good. Not too done.

@RAC No problem man
    ·
  • Here is the recipe from fellow Egger Craig

Enjoy!!!!
    ·
    Stupid question. With all the opening of the egg, how do you control the temp?
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,435
    @henapple-I follow Naked Whiz's guidance on paella fire building here( http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm ) and temperature control is pretty easy.  Do play with the bottom vent sometimes but not a whole lot of effort required, even under the influence of adult supervisory beverages.  FWIW-
    Louisville
    ·
    Lou... Any paella pan will work?
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,435
    @henapple-the only trick with the pan is to be able to shut the dome on the BGE.  As with buying a BGE, I would get the biggest pan that would fit (the handles take a good bit of space so you may need to modify them (bend to a vertical) depending).   TJ Maxx sometimes carries the pans but I would call first.  Otherwise, TNW's on-line site looks promising.  (The pan I use was a gift so I can't give you a personal purchase reference).  A great cook!  Apologize for the partial hi-jack.
    Louisville
    ·
  • i use the BGE paella pan. It fits perfect in a Large egg
    ·
    The whiz says 13.5
    ·
  • henapple said:
    The whiz says 13.5
    Different brands can have different size handles, so you might get away with a slightly bigger pan.  I recently bought a pan for my BigJoe cooker from Hot Paella and they were kind enough to measure the handle to handle distance for me before I bought.  It wouldn't hurt to email any online vendor to be sure about a particular brand.
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • First crack at BGE Paella.

You should never use crack in the same sentence as BGE.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    ·