Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Imparting smoke on peppers

I've got some peppers for a hot sauce. What y'all think?? Roast with flames, or slow smoke low??

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
·

Comments

• Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,821
    I roast mine direct around 300F aND KEEP TURNING TILL SKIN IS BLISTERED AND SOME BURNT.  dEPENDING ON TYPE OF PEPPER, i THEM PLACE3 IN A ZIP LOC BAG FOR A FEW HOURS OR OVERNIGHT IN FRIG IS TIME AVAILABLE, PEEL SKIN, DEVEIN AND DESED.
    ·
  • SoCal_GrillerSoCal_Griller Posts: 408
    edited September 2013
    I Just roasted some Hatch chilis this weekend.  I was setting up the egg for 350 indirect for a pork chop cook.  I through the peppers on around 300, once the egg stabilized @ 350, It threw in a chunk of apple wood.  The peppers were exposed to the "Bad Smoke" and the egg got up to 400.  I pulled, bagged and cleaned.  They were the best peppers I have roasted yet.  SWMBO suggested strongly that I make more :)
    Simi Valley, California
    ·
  • there will be no devein and deseed these are for HOT SAUCE!

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·