Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Reverse Sear

DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Picked this up at Wegman's on the way home today. Will be attempting my first reverse sear on this 24oz ribeye. It's about 1.5" thick. I just lightly salted with kosher salt and will let rise to room temp while I get the egg ready. A little pepper before it goes on. Will post results.
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• Nice steak but I would go even thicker when possible. 2 inches is perfect in my view.
  • DMW
    @jeroldharter I got the thickest one they had. I need to find a local custom butcher...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I make kroger cut me sone thick ones...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    @henapple Good idea, was in a hurry today, next time will ask them to cut some for me. I threw a couple chunks of mesquite in as well.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    OK
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    Just came off, time for a rest. Looks and smells incredible. Hope I can wait for the rest to finish...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    OK, reverse sear is awesome. A little on the rare side for the kiddos, but perfect for me. Next time i will take theirs to 125* IT before the sear I think.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Looks like you did it right!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    Looks great!

Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • Beautiful steak man!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    It doesn't get much better than that. Nice job.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Solson005
    Solson005 Posts: 1,911
    Looks awesome, that is something I have yet to tackle myself. One of these days I will finally get around to it. 
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • DMW
    @Solson005 Not sure I will ever order a steak when we go out again, don't recall ever having one that hit the spot like this.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Solson005
    edited September 2013
    That is part of my problem, steaks turn out so good at one temp I can't imagine them being any better using another method so I haven't tried it yet. 

I will give it a shot soon.. probably
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Nice

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• DMW
    @Solson005 What is your go-to method?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Solson005
    450° to 500° sear a couple mins per side depending on the thickness. Sometimes I move it to the top of my CGW Swing rack to finish, then pull about 5° before my target temp. It is good enough that I don't head out to steakhouses unless someone else is picking up the bill and I usually think I could cook it better myself when I'm there. 
  • Great looking cook. First tried reverse sear to get a well done steak for SWMBO. the low and slow indirect part of the cook lets me toss her's on for 10-15 minutes before I put mine on. There is no chance of turning hers into charcoal as the heat is so gentle, hence she gets a well done steak without it being burnt. 
    Have never gone any other way since. 
    You nailed it. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!