Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking powder on poultry skin

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,889
Just a week ago egger smokesniffer started a thread about whether to use corn starch or not on chicken. There were a few replies pro and con. Personally I have dusted chicken pieces and parts now and then with mix results. I was just reading the Oct/Nov 2013 issue of Cook's Country mag which is a sister publication to Cook's Illustrated. In an article entitled " the best baked chicken wings" they discuss the use - not of corn starch, but baking powder as being a secret ingredient to crispy chicken skin, calling for a liberal dusting for the crispest (baked) chicken wings. I will be glad to add their explanation of why if someone asks for it.
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options

Ron,

Same chemistry pretty much. As you probably remember I've been an advocate of cornstarch, potato starch and rice flour for many years. The trick is to get a light coating of anything. The fat renders and causes it to "fry" the skin. I use a one hand sifter my Mom had and two sieves to keep the coating as light as possible.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• revolver1
    Options
    Wish I'd remember that before cooking tonight's turkey.  

Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • RRP
    Options

Ron,

Same chemistry pretty much. As you probably remember I've been an advocate of cornstarch, potato starch and rice flour for many years. The trick is to get a light coating of anything. The fat renders and causes it to "fry" the skin. I use a one hand sifter my Mom had and two sieves to keep the coating as light as possible.

I hear ya buddy...what I use is thisimage very fine mesh tea strainer that really allows me to dust lightly.
  • revolver1
    Options
    Forgot to check the tag.  13ish lbs, indirect, breast up to 140, rotated breast down and pulled at 162 breast.  Tented for about 10 minutes and then deboned for other dishes.  Excellent.  Tender and moist.  Dome temp was 340ish.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • RRP
    Options
    revolver1 said:
    Forgot to check the tag.  13ish lbs, indirect, breast up to 140, rotated breast down and pulled at 162 breast.  Tented for about 10 minutes and then deboned for other dishes.  Excellent.  Tender and moist.  Dome temp was 340ish.  
    Interesting...so that wasn't egged as a main meal today, but deboned for "make ahead meals"? Hope you saved some of that carcass...one of our favorite parts of a full turkey cook is the ultra rich "clear soup" recipe I got from JSlot years ago. A cup of that is an appetizer to many a fine meal we enjoy!
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Options
    I thought they said baking soda. I've been using that on skin as well as sweet potato fries (baked). Baking soda works well too.
    Dunedin, FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    A baking soda (+seasoning) rub on raw chicken gives it a silky texture - that's what give moo goo gai pan chicken it's characteristic texture.
    @RRP I would enjoy hearing the explanation. I have used corn starch on wings, applied it first and then put on dry rub only. Last week I picked up wings from a butcher shop, those wings were in a marinate, hence my question on wet wings. I would appreciate your expertise.
    TIA
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Philly35
    Options
    The best way to get crispy baked wings is to steam them for ten minutes or so first and let cool... Renders out the fat. Works for me at least.
    NW IOWA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Raised grid FTW
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Some time ago, since reading about starch or powder, I could not remember which to use so I mixed them 50/50 - works very well. SWMBO won a PC duster as a door prize, it is excellent for applying the powder/starch mix. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    Options
    @RRP I would enjoy hearing the explanation. I have used corn starch on wings, applied it first and then put on dry rub only. Last week I picked up wings from a butcher shop, those wings were in a marinate, hence my question on wet wings. I would appreciate your expertise.
    TIA
    Glad to oblige, but this isn't my expertise! What the Cook's Country article said was:

"Baking powder is composed of an acid and an alkali and acts like a salt: The salt helps to draw moisture to the surface of the poultry skin, where it can evaporate...The acid helps break down proteins within the skin, and the alkali accelerates the browning process, meaning that the skin can crisp more quickly."
  • revolver1
    Options
    RRP said Interesting...so that wasn't egged as a main meal today, but deboned for "make ahead meals"? Hope you saved some of that carcass...one of our favorite parts of a full turkey cook is the ultra rich "clear soup" recipe I got from JSlot years ago. A cup of that is an appetizer to many a fine meal we enjoy!

Too late now but would appreciate the recipe.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • RRP
    edited September 2013
    Options
    revolver1 said:

Dan, I just checked the archives and I posted that recipe way back in 2006 and I see it has been deleted. Give me some time as I will have to retype it and it's a long one...so I might not get to it yet today and I'm rather busy tomorrow...I know
    how can a retiree be busy? LOL
  • Parallel
    Options
    Cool... I'm about to take the 30 day paleo challenge and I was wondering how I was going to get around using corn starch on wings... voila.

Every time my elbow bends my mouth flies open.
  • revolver1
    Options
    RRP said:
    revolver1 said:

Dan, I just checked the archives and I posted that recipe way back in 2006 and I see it has been deleted. Give me some time as I will have to retype it and it's a long one...so I might not get to it yet today and I'm rather busy tomorrow...I know how can a retiree be busy? LOL I'm in no rush.  Was hoping you had a link.  
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • mheller
    Options

revolver1 said:
    RRP said:
    revolver1 said:

Dan, I just checked the archives and I posted that recipe way back in 2006 and I see it has been deleted. Give me some time as I will have to retype it and it's a long one...so I might not get to it yet today and I'm rather busy tomorrow...I know how can a retiree be busy? LOL
    I'm in no rush.  Was hoping you had a link.   It's still in the archive: 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/368103/the-remains-of-the-bird-are-cold-and-nearly-history-but

• revolver1
    Options
    Got it and it's on file.  Thanks
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • RRP
    Options
    Thank you mheller! I had searched based on topic title and that has been deleted. I had forgotten (well it was 6 years ago!!!!) that I had made a photo of my copy as those penciled notations are in my hand writing. One thing though that I have since changed is the last line - I no longer save and eat the remaining solids on rice. By the time they are all done and strained out the protein and taste is all removed. Even Fido looked at me as if to say "what's with giving ME this swill?"
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    Tried using corn starch on parts, spatchcocked and wings...wasn't for me maybe didn't do it right. Tasted mealy and off!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Bayarad said:
    Tried using corn starch on parts, spatchcocked and wings...wasn't for me maybe didn't do it right. Tasted mealy and off!
    Only a dusting is required. If you can still see the powder in an hour or so, you have too much. Better too little than too much, it is not rub. If you have too much, a misting of oil helps, gives the extra starch something to work on. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    Thanks Skiddymarker I may try it again sometime I tend to get a decent spicy crust with a 50/50 mix of Dizzy Pig Jamaican Firewalk and Swamp Venom.
  • RRP
    Options
    Bayarad said:
    Again it recommends baking powder, not baking soda and not corn starch.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    I've been using baking powder for poultry skin for years now. A buddy of mine gave me the tip. I use corn starch when I run out of baking powder, but I prefer baking powder. In my opinion, it is less "sticky" than the corn starch and easier to work with. Gives my chicken wings the fried-like crispiness I look for to soak in the after sauce.
  • williamadamsesq
    Options
    Did my first spatchcock yesterday, put a very light coating of corn starch on the bird once I trimmed it and before I put it back in the refrigerator for a couple of hours on paper towels.  I rubbed the cornstarch in, there was very little on the bird.

Sprinkled rub with no mustard on the bird and let it come up to temp for a half hour, then on at 375 ish direct to 165/175 (thermapen ftw).

My Wife NEVER eats the skin on chicken - she's sauced a lo and slow bird then tossed the rubbed and sauced skin away.  She picks the breading off fried chicken. She gobbled the skin on the spatchcock bird.