Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Irish Rog is Coming To Texas

Hear Ye Hear Ye Hear Ye...

One of our own, Roger "Irish Rog" Beck from Limerick, Ireland, is contemplating a weeklong visit to the Republic of Texas to attend the World Famous, Salado Eggfest on March 15, 2014 in Salado. Unfortunately, his wife, Valeria, can't get off work to come with him this year. Maybe next time.

If things work according to schedule he will arrive in Houston on March 11th and will be introduced to the 'Girls' that same evening and probably want to sleep late the next morning. We will plan an agenda for him that shows Houston in a good light, probably starting with some Mexican food, some Cajun food and some Chicken Coop food. Of course, there's NASA to show off and being as though he is a Mall Manager in Limerick, he may want to visit a Houston shopping mall.

After that, the three of us will start the preparation/packing/loading process for Salado with a tentative departure date of Friday, March 14th, arriving in time for a tour of the Village of Salado, introduction to our Salado Eggfest Master and all around Good Guy, Mickey. And then to the Meet & Greet gathering that evening, followed by an exciting day at the Salado Eggfest where he hopes to cook some favorite Irish food and observe how Americans BBQ. Then learn how an After Party helps to wind down the day.

He said, " I am also in communication with "An Bord Bia", an Irish government body based in Dublin and New York, which is responsible for promoting Irish food products overseas to see can I arrange for them to have some Irish reared Pork products delivered to me in Salado to cook at the Fest." Hopefully, we will learn if American pork tastes different than Irish pork.

After that, he will have a couple of days to see and do whatever he fancies seeing and doing. We thought we could stop at a couple of Texas BBQ Trail restaurants on the way home. A day to rest up and off he flies back to Ireland.

He said, "I really just want to meet my online friends and enjoy good food, and have a really sociable week." I think we can make that happen.

We're open to any and all ideas. So if you have any suggestions, wish to volunteer some time or show him your city, now's the time to mention it. I'm sure he would appreciate very much anything that maximizes his time with us.

Spring "Irish Rog's Tour Guide" Chicken
Spring Texas USA

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited September 2013
    Did you tell him to bring a kilt? Or is that only Scottsmen?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• From my studies, the Irish mainly descend from the Celts, who fought naked in war.  Mickey - If you want the Salado Eggfest to be historically accurate, then you should demand the same authenticity as you do with the Scottish kilts.  Just sayin'.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    edited September 2013
    From my studies, the Irish mainly descend from the Celts, who fought naked in war.  Mickey - If you want the Salado Eggfest to be historically accurate, then you should demand the same authenticity as you do with the Scottish kilts.  Just sayin'.
    Be careful of stray embers if going "historically accurate".

I propose a tour of taco trucks in Houston. A fun, culturally different thing to do.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • From my studies, the Irish mainly descend from the Celts, who fought naked in war.  Mickey - If you want the Salado Eggfest to be historically accurate, then you should demand the same authenticity as you do with the Scottish kilts.  Just sayin'.

Something tells me your studies of the Irish culture have mostly involved drinking their whiskey. You know why God invented whiskey, right? To prevent the Irish from ruling the world.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Do we get to kill the English?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Something tells me your studies of the Irish culture have mostly involved drinking their whiskey. You know why God invented whiskey, right? To prevent the Irish from ruling the world.
    There's one simple answer that opens up a branch of a few others that are more complicated. The simple answer: intimidation. The Romans in particular were terrified of the Celts because when they weren't wearing pants (gasp! at the idea... civilized men wore togas), they were stark naked. The Celts even streaked their hair with feces and rubbed earth all over them (precursors to the blue face paint you see in Scottish history) for these reasons. It worked... with the help of these tactics they actually sacked Rome in the 400s BC and eventually drove the Roman armies from the British isles through their uncommon tactics. 

Further reasons include tradition and practicality. They felt they were able to utilize a better range of movement than were the encumbered Romans with their armor.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    edited September 2013

Something tells me your studies of the Irish culture have mostly involved drinking their whiskey. You know why God invented whiskey, right? To prevent the Irish from ruling the world.
    There's one simple answer that opens up a branch of a few others that are more complicated. The simple answer: intimidation. The Romans in particular were terrified of the Celts because when they weren't wearing pants (gasp! at the idea... civilized men wore togas), they were stark naked. The Celts even streaked their hair with feces and rubbed earth all over them (precursors to the blue face paint you see in Scottish history) for these reasons. It worked... with the help of these tactics they actually sacked Rome in the 400s BC and eventually drove the Roman armies from the British isles through their uncommon tactics. 

Further reasons include tradition and practicality. They felt they were able to utilize a better range of movement than were the encumbered Romans with their armor.

Very interesting. I don't think it will go over so well to walk around unencumbered at Salado, however.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited September 2013
    JohnInCarolina you have not been to one of the after parties. Not quite that but Nola is not keeping his appearances up here anymore. Just saying.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey said:

JohnInCarolina you have not been to one of the after parties. Not quite that but Nola is not keeping his appearances up here anymore. Just saying.

Nola was keeping up appearances?