Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy Wood $3

Was at Home Depot yesterday and saw Cowboy wood was $2.98 for 8 lb bag. Only lady also told me there is another pallet of it in the back. Now I am new to the egg and have only used one bag of lump so far that bag being cowboy wood. Do you think I should stock up for the winter on the $3 bags or try other brands to see what works for me? I know its all preference but when I see a half off sale it gets me all excited!! :)

Comments

• I would have to be in desperate straights to ever use Cowboy.  Fairly common box store brands are Royal Oak and Best of the West, both of which have worked well for me.  Wicked Good used to be at Ace, but alas no more.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    the cowboy lately has a more robust smoke flavor than most lumps other than mesquite lumps, im beginning to like it more and more and would buy it. its alot diffirent than it was a year or two ago. being new to burning lump i would try some others but nothing wrong with having several different types on hand
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I have heard some not so great reviews but couldn't resist picking up a few bags at $2.97.
    Albion, PA
  • Being a lump whore, I'd buy some. Keeping a mixture of lump brands is a good way to get some great buys. If the stuff is not all you expect, you can always mix some in with more acceptable lump. 
    When company comes or when doing a special cook, I use my good stuff. When doing a quick cook, burgers, ATBs, chicken breasts the cheap stuff works just fine. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Little harder to get good smoke with cowboy, but I don't have a problem with it.  I like the smaller bags....you can dump the whole bag.  I'd stock up if it were me.
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    NewToQue said:
    I didnt mind the taste. Dunno but it seemed to burn fast. Think I might pick up at least 10 bags.
    i really shouldnt have said, more robust smoke flavor, its more a robust smoke smell. its an odd smell at startup and lingers longer than other lumps. cooks fine though
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025

I would have to be in desperate straights to ever use Hu Cowboy.  Fairly common box store brands are Royal Oak and Best of the West, both of which have worked well for me.  Wicked Good used to be at Ace, but alas no more.

Doc, where are you located?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • BREWnQ
    BREWnQ Posts: 219
    Someone else found some lump charcoal for $.98.  Looks like HD might just be blowing out their charcoal everywhere.

Brewer, BBQer, Softballer, RCer, Father, HomeTheaterer, and trouble maker.
    Orange, CA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Is there a way to localize this app?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • I saw the same deal. Picked up 6 bags.
  • NewToQue where are you located went to hd in Bloomington mn today same deal. had the civic today going back with the pick up. Thanks for the info.
    XL & waiting for my Mini Max Bloomington MN.

• NewToQue where are you located went to hd in Bloomington mn today same deal. had the civic today going back with the pick up. Thanks for the info.
    Hey I'm in Philadelphia PA. It is kinda hard to find much lump around here.... Gotta get out to the burbs to find anything.
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035

The other big box store also carries Cowboy Lump.  I find that over time the pieces have gotten very small.  For myself, I prefer larger pieces mixed in with the bag.

The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • henapple said:
    I would have to be in desperate straights to ever use Hu Cowboy.  Fairly common box store brands are Royal Oak and Best of the West, both of which have worked well for me.  Wicked Good used to be at Ace, but alas no more.
    Doc, where are you located?
    Central Florida

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Home Depot in Erie and Pittsburgh PA has the cowboy clearance deal
    Albion, PA