Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reverse sear question

Options
This is a general question, but for detail, I'm cooking ribeyes direct at 350 until 120IT.  I take the steaks off, crank it up to about 700 to do a reverse sear.  How long do you let it stabilize for the sear before putting the steaks back on? 

Thanks!
Los Angeles, CA

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    At that temp, I wouldn't think that it would matter.  The sear's going to be quick.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    edited September 2013
    Options
    What temp are you going for a finished steak, here is what I did Sunday to two two inch steaks and they came out great, EVOO Salt, Pepper. Plate Setter in legs up drip pan dome at 250/260 until 108 and 110, I pulled them and tented them with foil and pulled the plate setter and cranked it up to 525/550 which took about 15 min them I put them back on for 1 min then crisscrossed for another then flipped them and I did the same and they came off at 130 and tented again which they climbed to 135were great.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • CeeGeeW
    CeeGeeW Posts: 113
    Options
    Thanks John, that meant to say 600 degrees, but I would imagine same result.  I sear for about 90 secs a side.

GrillMagic, I target 140 then rest for 5 mins so the final is 145.  I tried indirect for rib eye, but prefer direct with a reverse sear.  I need to try the crisscross sometime.  So once the egg hit 525/550 you put them on instantly?
    Los Angeles, CA
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    Options
    CeeGeeW said:
    Thanks John, that meant to say 600 degrees, but I would imagine same result.  I sear for about 90 secs a side.

GrillMagic, I target 140 then rest for 5 mins so the final is 145.  I tried indirect for rib eye, but prefer direct with a reverse sear.  I need to try the crisscross sometime.  So once the egg hit 525/550 you put them on instantly?
    I do, I had a pretty good fire at 550. I have a XL and have also done them whit out the plate setter I just do a indirect with the coals on one side using the L Brackets from Ceramic Grill Store and then seared them on the other side they were also very good
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE