Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steakhouse Sins and Cowboy Ribeyes

JohnInCarolina
JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
I caught this article on CNN last night:

The author calls them "deadly sins".  I suppose a steak that's expensive and not all that good probably would kill some of the forum members around here.  He doesn't say what restaurant he's slamming in NY but from some of the comments, it seems to be Luger's.  

Anyway, I had to laugh because since I've started cooking steaks on the BGE, I don't bother ordering them when we go out.  There's no comparison.  A few weeks ago I picked up some dry-aged cowboy ribeyes from a new butcher we have in town.  They were about 1.5" thick:

I cooked them following APL's recipe.  Here they are sliced after coming off the egg:

Then plated with some broccoli and three-bean salad:

The wine was a Prinsi Barbaresco, which I highly recommend:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    You sure those aren't cow hearts?
    Dunedin, FL
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,936
    edited September 2013
    I'm pretty certain they're not hearts.  The large bones running through the middle would be a curious feature otherwise.  
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited September 2013
    That author comes off like a like a pretentious dolt. But hey, he did found Meatopia.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'll tell him you said that when I see him at Meatopia in November... ;)

I'll tell him you said that when I see him at Meatopia in November... ;)

@nolaegghead,
    Be my guest. I pretty sure he's going to get his ass kicked while he is there. What follows is a direct quote from him.

"The larger point about brisket — the thing that is driving you to despair — is that brisket sucks"

I am amazed he is even stepping foot in Texas. 

Either way, he lost me when he called myoglobin "oxygen fuel". Dumbass.
  • ...could've been happier reading this thread without the pic of the cow heart...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @eggcelsior - He might get his ass kicked, I'll be there to see it....Texans shoot first and ask questions later.  I think what he might have meant was the cut (brisket) is tough and chewy and either too lean or too fatty....versus a standing rib roast.  One of the most challenging to cook unless you braise it.  Brisket used to be the cheapest primal of beef.  In some places it still is. 

• "The larger point about brisket — the thing that is driving you to despair — is that brisket sucks"

I am amazed he is even stepping foot in Texas. 

Yeah that's pretty bad.  
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    That statement fell "flat"... =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    @eggcelsior - He might get his ass kicked, I'll be there to see it....Texans shoot first and ask questions later.  I think what he might have meant was the cut (brisket) is tough and chewy and either too lean or too fatty....versus a standing rib roast.  One of the most challenging to cook unless you braise it.  Brisket used to be the cheapest primal of beef.  In some places it still is. 
    Nope, Short ribs. He compared brisket to short ribs.

"It takes a whole day of backbreaking work and your undivided attention, and in the end it's not even as good as the worst spare rib. I would suggest giving up brisket entirely."

This was in response to a person basically asking how to cook a proper brisket after his failed.

He also thinks the best BBQ is in NYC, what a colossal douche! His hyperbole is only surpassed by his gut. I fear that James Beard Foundation really lowered their standards.

• Cooking brisket is "backbreaking" ?  How the hell does he cook it?  I mean is he peddling some exercise bike to power his electric grill?  

Unfortunately this asshat sounds like your stereotypical New Yorker, who believes that good restaurants, pizza, sushi, etc, can only be found in the city.  
  • henapple
    Why isn't Meatopia in nyc?
  • henapple said:
    Why isn't Meatopia in nyc?
    Well, according to Ozersky, "Meatopia was born in New York and New York will always be its soul."

• Eggcelsior
    Cooking brisket is "backbreaking" ?  How the hell does he cook it?  I mean is he peddling some exercise bike to power his electric grill?  

Unfortunately this asshat sounds like your stereotypical New Yorker, who believes that good restaurants, pizza, sushi, etc, can only be found in the city.  
    He cooks in in Dr. Pepper in the oven then cools it, slices it, and finishes by grilling the pieces on a grill. He has his own "Ehow" video.
  • henapple
    We'll he can move it to nyc can't he?
  • Cooking brisket is "backbreaking" ?  How the hell does he cook it?  I mean is he peddling some exercise bike to power his electric grill?  

He cooks in in Dr. Pepper in the oven then cools it, slices it, and finishes by grilling the pieces on a grill. He has his own "Ehow" video.

OK, so I just tracked that video down and it's clear the dude appreciates brisket. He just acknowledges that it's a challenge to cook well. I also have to admit that grilling the slices is an interesting idea.
  • Eggcelsior
    I think his true colors shine through in his comment from a week ago. He does brisket for show and couldn't care less.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I kind of agree with the spirit of the article, but not necessarily with its author. I haven't been to a steakhouse on my own dime in years, because of the lackluster meals/experience. My steak cravings are satisfied by Costco's prime steaks and veal, for a fraction of steakhouse prices. Most recently, we ate at Killen's (#6 steak house in the country apparently) and I was pretty disappointed with the whole affair. The owner of that place posted a pic on Twitter or something about a $12,500 tab some time back, the chunk of which was pricey bottles of wine. I did have a great bacon-wrapped scallops appetizer that night, and the bacon was quality. 

I think he's way off base about brisket. Yes, its harder to get right than a Hot Pocket or pork butt, but its not "backbreaking". Tons of people on numerous bbq forums make it happen regularly. And they're not all from NYC either. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.