Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Homebrewers in the house?

mabowden
mabowden Posts: 10
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
I know that I've read a few forums on what we are drinking, but are any of us homebrewers?  I have a simcoe-amarillo IPA on tap right now and a citra-centennial pale ale in secondary.  Anyone else brewing and q'ing?  

Attached is the IPA and brew day for the pale ale.  The ale pail is for sanitizer ;), not my primary.

Comments

• I've been home brewing for years, just kicked the old three tier system to the curb and started BIAB way easier and quicker ! Not more 8 hour brewdays. Ten gallons start t chilled and in primary in less than 4 hours with a 90 minute scheduled boil.
    HFX NS
  • Im still doing extract, about time I start moving over to AG.  I really like a hybrid BIAB setup with using a bag in a cooler for the MLT and using the kettle for the HLT with a pump inbetween.  I think I can find it on homebrewtalk somewhere...

I figure that will give me a little more temp control while still the BIAB easiness...  Whats your opinion dexter?

• Can't go wrong with Jimmy's ideas he's from the same place as me, he also sells the bags that fit n the cooler. I personally don't use the cooler, but its a great way to do it. His videos are good too..
    HFX NS
  • Aquacop
    Aquacop Posts: 481
    You need to converse with a Lieutenant that works in my office, he just took a Gold medal at the Savannah Craft Brew Fest, his knowledge of home brewing is amazing. I am just a wanna be.
    LBGE 2013 Located in Savannah, Georgia
  • Also if you're into homebrewing I suggest how to brew by John Palmer an brewing classic styles again Palmer an a guy named jamil. Also the brewing network has podcast type things that are very informative
    HFX NS
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    Been doing partial mash for a few years. Started making wine, but it's hard waiting 2+ years to start drinking what you ferment. Just finishing up a keg of saison and sparkling apple cyser, and about to put on a marzen style Oktoberfest and American style barley wine in the next couple of weeks for the fall.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • Why Are you waiting two years? Unless you're putting sulfates in your wine? After a month it should be drinkable and after 3 it usually hits its peak
    HFX NS
  • mokadir
    I am talking about red wines from grapes, like cab sauv, merlot, Sangiovese, syrah, etc. They can be consumed after a month, but really dont taste like wine for a year or two. They also spend about a year or more in oak barrels prior to bottling. Mine are still improving after 5 to 6 years. I have quite a stash built up, so there is no hurry to drink it at once..
  • I assumed kits my bad.
    HFX NS
    Be been brewing for a couple years. Anything food/beer and I like it :)
    Aurora,OH
  • Does a Mr. Beer kit count?
    I wish I knew more about it.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• mokadir
    Holy Crap Nervous, that's a pretty nifty set up. With nice equipment like that, I'll bet you'll be getting a Big Green Egg soon. ;)
  • image Be been brewing for a couple years. Anything food/beer and I like it :)
    Wow.  Nuff Said.  That sure is purdy....
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I'd hesitate to call myself a homebrewer. Just got started in July. Have done two batches, one a hefeweizen and one a Mexican cerveza. Both pretty tasty, but still have so much to learn. Been fun so far, though.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• I love the old burner as the pid stand!
    HFX NS
  • Brewed competitively and judged for years, however with 3 young kids I have not had the time to devote to it for a while. Miss it, and I'm sure I will get back to it at some point. Great looking system, mabowden!
  • Sure are!

Been making wine since 1970 and homebrew (ales) since about  '76.

Nothing fancy....

• SWMBO said she wanted to throw a party so after a long break im back to brewing. Did 2 5 gallon batches the other week to fill the kegerator. IPA and Hefe should please the crowd I hope. Been brewing for 3 years or so now.

I did take a long break cause I was concentrating on losing weight. Now that Im down around my goal time to pack it back on! haha
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I have been brewing for several years, do about 15 batches a year., Extract only, though my son is a bit of a brewing savant and does all grain, and I have done some double batches with him.  I have a Citra/Amarillo pale ale that is a dynamite summer brew and I brew every other batch.  Next up is a Saison which will be followed by a Vanilla Porter for the cold months.  I can't deal with washing bottles, so everything goes in corny kegs.

BTW, I use a program called Beer Tools Pro to develop and keep track of my recipes.  I highly recommend it, check it out if you are not familiar with it.  http://www.beertools.com/
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Some impressive operations here. 

I've been meaning to start brewing again.  I have a 3 ton PolyScience chiller that I think would work great for cooling.  All in good time....I have so many projects going on at once I think my head is about to explode. ;)
    I have been brewing for several years, do about 15 batches a year., Extract only, though my son is a bit of a brewing savant and does all grain, and I have done some double batches with him.  I have a Citra/Amarillo pale ale that is a dynamite summer brew and I brew every other batch.  Next up is a Saison which will be followed by a Vanilla Porter for the cold months.  I can't deal with washing bottles, so everything goes in corny kegs.

BTW, I use a program called Beer Tools Pro to develop and keep track of my recipes.  I highly recommend it, check it out if you are not familiar with it.  http://www.beertools.com/
    Bob you seem to be where I am at in brewing.  I've made some really good extract batches and have friends that do AG but not sure if I want to make that leap yet.  Whats the recipe for the amarillo/citra?

I'm kegging a citra/centennial today...
  • Must be nice to be able to get citra and Amarillo they've been sold out locally for a while unless I wasn't to spend a ton of $$$
    HFX NS
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564

I think I need to retire early.

I just found something else to take up my time.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Cookinbob
    I can usually find Citra locally, get Amarillo on line, usually northern brewer or Midwest. Do a google search and you can find them at a reasonable price. Amarillo is one I stock up on, usually buy 8 oz
    Rochester, NY
  • Cookinbob
    mabowden said:
    Cookinbob said:

Bob you seem to be where I am at in brewing.  I've made some really good extract batches and have friends that do AG but not sure if I want to make that leap yet.  Whats the recipe for the amarillo/citra?

I'm kegging a citra/centennial today...
    Here is my recipe for the Citra/Amarillo pale ale ( called Fruition, developed and named by my son).  It is actually a partial mash as I steep the grains for about 40 minutes at 155, they do contribute fermentables.  If you brew it, I want to hear back from you what you think!. By the way, I have substituted an ounce of Galaxy for the Citra/Amarillo at flameout, it gives the brew an incredible grapefruit note on the nose.

Having done AG with my son, it takes about 1-1/2 to 2 hours longer to brew, I am just not that patient, and there is more stuff to clean up and to store.  My goal is to have great beers on tap that I made, and I am achieving it with extract.

If you have questions send me a message and we can talk more off line
    Rochester, NY