Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Belly Cook

Options
I'm working my way through Adam Perry Lang's Serious Barbecue cookbook.  This weekend I did the Crispy Unctuous Pork Belly recipe.  The results were fantastic.  Marinated it for a day; cooked it at 275 for 5 1/2 hours with cherrywood; then crisped the skin with a bourbon glaze (that skin was incredible!). The more I cook from this book, the more I become convinced it's a must-own. 

Southern California

Comments

• Little Steven
    Options
    Beautiful!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Cookbook_Chip
    Options
    I have got to try belly! Your pic is making me drool. Where do you buy one?
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • bicktrav
    Options
    I have got to try belly! Your pic is making me drool. Where do you buy one?
    Got it from a local butcher.  Typically, if you visit a butcher they'll either have one or will be able to get you one in short order.  Definitely worth seeking.  It tasted far better than it looks!
    Southern California
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    That looks...........AWESOME!
    Large, small, and a mini
  • WC1
    WC1 Posts: 42
    Options

Looks delicious.  Pork belly has been on my mind just havent found the right recipe until now!

On the grill did you baste it during the cook?

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I've seen enough.  Just ordered the book.  Thanks!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• bicktrav
    Options
    WC1 said:

Looks delicious.  Pork belly has been on my mind just havent found the right recipe until now!

On the grill did you baste it during the cook?

Yes, but only at the very end of the cook.  Cooked it at 275 for 5 1/2 hours, then kicked the heat up to 375 to sear the skin on each side.  During the higher heat portion of the cook, I applied a glaze made of whiskey (with the alcohol thoroughly cooked off), brown sugar, apple cider vinegar and red pepper flakes.  The glaze got crisped onto the skin, and was hugely influential in the final taste.
    Southern California
  • bicktrav
    Options
    YEMTrey said:
    I've seen enough.  Just ordered the book.  Thanks!
    Very good move!
    Southern California
  • HorseMover
    Options
    That looks incredible...Wow
    Albion, PA
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    ^:)^ That looks absolutely amazing. You Da Man!!

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SoCal_Griller
    Options
    That looks fantastic!  I have always wanted to try a belly, your cook is inspiring me to do so.  I have "The Book" so will use APLs recipe.  Good Job!
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • jdgcrean
    Options
    Looks amazing. How did you serve the belly? in a sandwhich?
  • Hic
    Hic Posts: 350
    Options
    Looks good and I want to try it. I found the recipe on his website, http://www.adamperrylang.com/recipes/crisp-and-unctious-pork-belly

Large, medium, small and a mini. Egg'n, golfing, beer drinking, camping and following football and baseball.
    Atlanta NOTP suburbia.

• bicktrav
    Options
    jdgcrean said:
    Looks amazing. How did you serve the belly? in a sandwhich?
    He advises serving it on rolls with dressed arugula, applesauce and hot mustard.  I'm sure that would have been fantastic, but I didn't go that route.  Instead, I treated it almost like pulled pork.  It's remarkably tender and shredding the way you might a butt is really easy.  I did that and served it with coleslaw, baked beans and sweet potatoes.  Honestly, you could do just about anything with it and it would taste amazing. 
    Southern California
  • bicktrav
    Options
    Hic said:
    Looks good and I want to try it. I found the recipe on his website, http://www.adamperrylang.com/recipes/crisp-and-unctious-pork-belly
    That's the one!  Enjoy!
    Southern California
  • THE DRU
    Options
    I will do that on the Egg this weekend.  I only hope it looks as good as yours.

Versailles, KY

XL, Lg, MM, Performer, Q

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Maybe I missed it... Internal temp? Did you use a basket?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • EggerInCharlotte
    Options
    A question from a guy that has never had pork belly;

I would love to try it (especially after your post, bicktrav!!).  But, isn't it like eating 99.99% fat?  Can you pork belly experts chime-in with comments and offer some feedback on that?

Thanks!
  • bicktrav
    Options

THE DRU said:
    I will do that on the Egg this weekend.  I only hope it looks as good as yours.
    I'm sure it'll come out great.  Post pics when you're through!
    Southern California
  • bicktrav
    Options
    henapple said:
    Maybe I missed it... Internal temp? Did you use a basket?
    No internal temp specified, so just went by time.  I didn't have a basket, so couldn't use one.  The recipe does advise you to use one if you've got it though.  I was basically using a spatula and tongs to flip the thing, which was very difficult given how tender it became.  If I'd used a basket, I think the end result would have been a little less amorphous.  Nonetheless, the meal was darn near perfect.
    Southern California
  • bicktrav
    Options
    A question from a guy that has never had pork belly;

I would love to try it (especially after your post, bicktrav!!).  But, isn't it like eating 99.99% fat?  Can you pork belly experts chime-in with comments and offer some feedback on that?

Thanks!
    It is an extremely fatty cut; no question about that.  99 percent fat is (probably intentionally) hyperbolic, but you're certainly dealing with one of the fattier pieces of meat available.  If you picture a piece of bacon, which is made from pork belly, you'll get a good idea of the fat to meat ratio.  Bacon is sort of zebra striped with pink and white.  The pink stripes are meat; the white stripes are fat.  It's probably around 50/50 depending on the piece.  That's pretty much how the pork belly is.  If you're fat-averse, don't pick one up, but be aware that the same way bacon is tremendously flavorful, pork belly is tremendously flavorful.  That's because of the fat content.  Probably also worth noting that if you're so inclined, it's actually not that difficult to avoid the fat in pork belly and stick to eating the meat because the two portions are not terribly integrated.  But the fat imparts loads of flavor, so avoiding it may be missing the point a little.  Personally--and this is a nutritional digression--I don't think fat is nearly as dangerous as it's made out to be.  I do more to avoid sugars and refined carbohydrates.  Still, totally understand if you're not interested in the cut because of the fat content.  
    Southern California