Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Hot & Fast- Old Dave Style, killed it

Options
BadaBing
BadaBing Posts: 12
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
Picked up a Sams CAB 7.5 lb flat on Sat morning.  Been doing Old Dave Po Farm method of Hot & Fast.  Did it exactly like he said except I used Dizzy Dust Coarse for my rub and I add more Au Jus mix before I foil, usually 505/50 split of beef broth and worsch- 3/4 cup to 1 cup.  Foiled at 166 internal and pulled at 206 internal and let rest for 45 min still wrapped and another 15 min unwrapped.  The picture of the red bottle was the amount of juice I got after taking it out of the foil.  Love this method and always gets a nice juicy finished product, thanks Dave.

Old Dave method for brisket

image"">

Comments

• Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the link.

Don't let too many eggers go to that link... They will flip their lid that he uses the generic "ceramic cooker" instead of saying Big Green Egg (see: Bobby Flay).

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Little Steven
    Options
    Old Dave was on the other forum years ago.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I had the pleasure of hanging out with Old Dave at a KCBS competition in Peoria, IL one afternoon and the man is a walking legend. Even his own introduction says it all!

The man, the myth, and the legend: NRA member,Conservative, I am the Militia, Retired and Lovin' it, Precision Airgun Enthusiast, Big-Bore Shooting Competitor, Bench Rest Shooter, Admirer of High Quality Airguns, Gun Control for Old Dave is "hitting where you aimed". Meat Smoking Expert, Riots Started, Diet Consultant, World Renowned Beer Taster, Lover of the Hot Chile Pod, Rescuer of Fair Maidens, Rescuer of "not so" Fair Maidens, (Higher Rates). Will Work for Beer, Champion Cow Pie Chucker, Rebellions Quashed, Snake Charmer, Trainer of Fighting Turtles, Lettered in High School as a Tackling Dummy. Breeder of the Long Haired Snipe. ============================================================= BBQ Competition, Team Name: Ribs & Bibs,

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Arbucklej
    Options
    definitely want to try this...looks awesome!

• gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    I will be trying it...got a 7.5 in the freezer now...
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Probably a good way to do a flat. Definitely worth trying.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • GreenhawK
    Options
    Thank you for the post.  I am going to try that one.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited September 2013
    Options
    RRP said:
    I had the pleasure of hanging out with Old Dave at a KCBS competition in Peoria, IL one afternoon and the man is a walking legend. Even his own introduction says it all!

The man, the myth, and the legend: NRA member,Conservative, I am the Militia, Retired and Lovin' it, Precision Airgun Enthusiast, Big-Bore Shooting Competitor, Bench Rest Shooter, Admirer of High Quality Airguns, Gun Control for Old Dave is "hitting where you aimed". Meat Smoking Expert, Riots Started, Diet Consultant, World Renowned Beer Taster, Lover of the Hot Chile Pod, Rescuer of Fair Maidens, Rescuer of "not so" Fair Maidens, (Higher Rates). Will Work for Beer, Champion Cow Pie Chucker, Rebellions Quashed, Snake Charmer, Trainer of Fighting Turtles, Lettered in High School as a Tackling Dummy. Breeder of the Long Haired Snipe. ============================================================= BBQ Competition, Team Name: Ribs & Bibs,

Ron, as I've told you before, what you do with other men on your own time is your own business. Who am I to judge?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BadaBing
    Options
    I think the key to this recipe is a couple of things.  One, nice high raised grid just like he has in the picture.  The other is to not let it rest too long, at least that's my experience.  I've done this about 10 times now, and I think that 1 hr in foil rested works best and then a 20-30 min out of foil and juices before slicing.  If you need to wait longer, I'd take out a good majority, if not all of the juice after 1.5-2 hrs and re-wrap it.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    that method gives a great smoke ring, better than low and slows for the ring for me. i do it that way about 50 percent of the time, especially if i have a flat thet doesnt have much of a fat layer
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it