Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie slow cook rib question!

Hi everyone-

I got my large Egg back in May and have been learning a lot from reading posts here- thanks for that!

So far, I've had some really good success, but I've been just cooking for two - me n' the wife... Something grabbed hold of me and made me offer up my house for a work BBQ, so that's all about to change.

Monday, I've got about 10-15 folks coming over and I was going to do some slow cooked pork ribs.  I've made these a couple of times for 2, and they came out great... but I'm a little concerned about upping the ante, and want to make sure I have the best chance of success possible.  I'm wondering if my so-far, tried-and-true method will work here or if I'll need to adjust for the larger quantity of ribs I'm going to be doing?

Here's what I've done for just two racks of ribs: Egg set to around 225-250, indirect with plate setter legs up, pan with water and apple cider vinegar under rack to catch drippings and retain moisture. Some apple wood chips for smoke, and cook time - about 10-11 hours.  I've gone with the "close the dome, watch the temperature, and just let it cook" approach, no foil, no BBQ sauce (just dry rub).  They've been awesome so far, and I'm hoping to repeat that for my co-workers. Gulp...

I picked up a tier rack yesterday, so I have the hardware I need to do about 12 racks now, which should be enough for the group I have coming over.  My current plan is to get up a little early, light the egg around 5:30 AM, put the ribs on around 7, go to work, come check 'em mid day, and hopefully be ready to eat around 6 or so.  

What do y'all think?  Do I need to allot more time for the cook or increase my temp to compensate for the additional quantity? 

Thanks in advance for any advice! I'll post some pics and let you know how it turns out!

Theron

Comments

• Whoops, not 10-11 hours... probably more like 6-7... jeez. :) 
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited September 2013
    You don't need to increase the temp.  The egg may need a slightly bigger opening to recover and maintain the temp since there is more food, but the temp is fine.  But if you are doing 6 - 7 hours, then I would probably not even worry about that.

Ribs on the upper tier rack may cook faster since it is higher in the dome.

7 hours at 250 is longer than I do, but if you hit 225* that may be just fine.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Thanks, Ragtop99- good info on the top rack cooking faster, I didn't know that.  Makes sense though- heat rising etc. 

Yeah, I think I'll probably stick as close to 225 as I can, good call!  

Theron
  • Decided to go with a two pronged approach for tonight... starting a brisket now, it'll end up with about 10 hours of cooking time or so. I'll come back home around noon and add the ribs to a second tier, they'll get about 5 hours in before I get home after work, then I can check 'em and see how they're doing. 

Here's the brisket in the before state...

Theron
  • R3K
    R3K Posts: 52
    please post the results of the "two pronged" approach.  I've never done two different types of meat like that before.  Since the density of the different meats isn't the same, I'd think that the cooking temps would need to be different, or the cooking times would be drastically different.  If you're successful, I may try this in the future
  • Will do!

I've done both brisket and ribs at the same temperature, just not simultaneously before.  The way I've got it planned out, the brisket will be on for about double the time as the ribs, so hopefully it'll pan out... otherwise my guests tonight are eating cornbread, potato salad and beans. LOL!  :) 
  • I have cooked from 1 slab up to about 60 slabs of ribs at the same time. (of course not 60 on the egg).  I do the exact same thing either way.  I do the same prep, and the same methods.  Just make sure that there is a little space between each slab so that air can flow between them.  There shouldn't be any increased cooking time now matter how many slabs you have on there.

Just do what you are used to and comfortable with.  You will do great.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Thanks, GreenhawK!  Appreciate it! 

Just entered phase 2 - might need to get a little more space between the slabs, but we're moving along... Pic below-  

I'll let y'all know how it turns out in a few hours!

Theron
  • That looks good.  The one in the middle that is folded over is the only one that I see that may be touching to much.  It is ok if they are touching in a couple of spots.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Nice job man!  Lot of pressure and came through like a champ.  Did yourself and the Egg proud!

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Looks great. As long as guests are pleased, you did well. We are our own worst critics.
  • Amen to that, we are definitely our own worst critics! :)

Thanks for all the kind words! I'm definitely a lot more comfortable cooking for a large group now. It'll be easier next time (and word has spread at work, so I know there will have to be a next time now for all those who didn't make it LOL)
  • 3-2-1 method at about 250-275 never fails