Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brining Question

I'm guessing a lot of you brine your chicken. I've tried it a few times and failed. I got really juicy, not dry chicken... But it was too salty. What ratio do I need to use and is it different with chicken breast , whole chicken, and chicken wings?

BTW the first brine I tried was 8 cups water, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup kosher salt. Please correct me!!
"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR

Comments

• How long did you brine what parts of chicken? And did you rinse it before you grilled it?

I did it for the first time tonight and was underwelmed, I did something similar to you except no sugar and some EVOO on a whole chicken for 2 hours. 

XLBGE 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    That ratio sounds fine. How long are you brining for? I do 2 hours for chicken. Also, do you rinse afterwards?
  • I'm brining for maybe an hour and I did not rinse afterwords. Went straight to the grill.

Am I right that no matter if I do chicken wings or a whole chicken the ratio should stay the same? Is it the time left in the brine that causes the saltiness?

RTR
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I think the time is fine. I bet it was not rinsing. As the water evaporates, the salt is left behind on the surface. I learned the hard way as well ;)
  • Thanks! I bet that was it. Will definitely try that next time! The wife couldn't even eat the wings yesterday they were so salty.

RTR
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Basic brine from Charcuterie is 1 gallon water, 1 cup kosher salt (225 grams), 1/2 cup sugar (125 g), and optional seasonings. Chicken breasts 2hours, 2lb bird 4-6 hrs, 3-4 lb bird 8-12hrs. Also recommends to rinse and allow to rest in refrigerator for a couple hours after the brine. I did a pork tenderloin with the basic brine (and a few extra seasonings tonight) and it came out fine even ignoring the rest. How that helps some.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Thanks Griffin. I'll try this next time. That's 1/2 Cup of salt more than what I did. I think my problem was not rinsing. The food was edible, just too salty. 

RTR
  • I brine like @Griffin notes, about a 16:1 ratio (water:salt)
    Your ratio was 32:1 so if anything, salty should not be the issue, providing you rinse. 

After brining, I rinse, pat dry with paper towel, dust with 50/50 mix baking powder/corn starch, air dry in the fridge for a few hours, rub, then raised direct at 400º or indirect at up to 450º - depending on the rest of the cook. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    edited September 2013
    Oh....and mine was a 2hr brine and I cut everything by 4 since a gallon was too much for what I needed.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Griffin's got it! Go this direction and you will be happy with brining!

I use a higher salt to water (1 qt. to 1/4 C. Kosher salt) as I'm from the school of 6% brine.

However after a brining (1 to 4 hrs. for chicken parts and 4 hrs to even over night for a large whole chicken) a rinse, a soak out in fresh cold water and than a rest makes it all come together.

The rest in the fridge is as important as the brining inself. "Parts" need a rest of about 3 hrs. and a whole, large chicken can go as long as 8 to 10 hrs..

No matter the brine ratio and even the brining time, let alone the rinse...If you don't rest it...The first tase you get is salt.