Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all had a big green St. Patrick’s Day! While you’re waiting for it to be Easter time, try some of the new recipes we’ve recently added to our website. One of our favorite dishes is the Easy Jambalaya with Beef, and our favorite sweet & savory treat is the Sweet Cream Crostini.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First Spatchcocked Chicken

Did my first Spatchcocked Chicken today. Direct 375 with EVOO and DP Shakin the Tree.
image.jpg 822.4K
·

Comments

• You're on your way !  Congrats!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • You're on your way !  Congrats!

Thank you.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,527
    No grease smell from the fat dripping...?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Looks good.  Welcome.
  • RACRAC Posts: 1,314
    Great job! Look's good.

Ricky

Spring, TX

·
  • radamoradamo Posts: 349
    Looks good.  How did you like it?

Long Island, NY
    ·
  • Spatchcocked is the only way to cook a bird, in my opinion. Brined then spatchcocked is exceptional.
    ·
  • Thanks for all the nice comments. Truth be told I'm waiting for the wife to come home and try it with me.
    ·
  • Wow. What a difference in taste. I'm convinced.
    ·
  • Henapple, didn't notice a greasy taste at all.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,028
    Sure looks good. Next do a turkey the same way.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Off and running, welcome!

I wish someone had told me earlier - dry the skin and lightly dust with baking powder or corn starch and let air dry in the fridge for a few hours. Hit it with your rub and cook it just like you know how to. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • Looks great. I do a spatched chicken pretty much weekly. Does anyone put the rub under the skin? I don't and I sometimes feel like the rub is wasted on the skin with no taste getting to the meat. 
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."

RTR
    ·
  • PjoePjoe Posts: 224
    Thats why you brine! 1 gallon water, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 cup coarse salt. Overnight in the brine. Rinse and rest in fridge all day. Spatchcock and you know the rest. Works great on turkey too!
    LBGE AR SMALL BGE WOO RING
    ·
  • My first two cooks earlier this month were spatched!  Brining is definitely the way to go, the second bird I brined for only five hours and the difference was amazing. Also, on the second time around I did direct at around 400 for one hour and the skin was nice and crispy.

No complains for the spatch though.  Reverse sear steak for the first time today!
    ·