Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Off Topic - Recommendation for a portable gas grill

Options
Foghorn
Foghorn Posts: 9,832
It seems that the place we are going to be tailgating this weekend in College Station only allows portable gas grills.  Does anybody have any experience/recommendations?  Is the WeberQ the way to go.  Reviews suggest it is good for fast searing, but even on it's lowest setting it will sear whatever is on the grill.  Are there better options out there?  Thanks for any input or advice.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

Comments

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Bring the egg and a can of propane, they will not know the difference.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    something i bring with me when i cant burn lump is my camp stove, castiron pan and sausages peppers onions, bacon wrapped scollops, reheat some egged chili, meatballs and sauce, steak and cheese subs etc   seems more handy than a gas grill
    :D my old camp king is probably 50 plus years old
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Depends how serious you are, I guess.
    You can get a little Weber or a Master Forge 12000BTU gas grill at Lowe's for under $70 that will perform like a $70 grill - it is either on or off, there is nothing in between no matter where you set the dial, it is hot or it is cold. 
    You can get a 14000BTU Napoleon (had one on the boat - used in the salt chuck) that is very well built of 304 SS, wind proof and will do indirect cooks as it had two burner controls that actually change the temperature for about $225. 
    Like eggs, big difference between a Chargrill egg for $200 and a LBGE for $800, being an egg owner you understand quality. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options
    So you did find a place to tailgate? I wanted to go this weekend but I have a race that I'm working at and that trumped the Ponies getting ran over by Johnny (I will sign anything for money) Foozeball. Would love to see SMU win but we don't pay our players like we used to. Have fun down there it's a great place to watch a college game.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• buddubya
    Options
    I just snagged a used Weber Q100 off of craigslist for $75 for a music festival I was heading to. It came with the folding cart stand which turned out to be really nice to have, as well as a cover. 

There is supposedly an adapter and hose you can get to use a full size propane tanks. However, I bought two of those fat boy propane tanks at home depot, the 16.5 ozs, and cooked on it for 3 days straight.

I did grilled WANGZ, pork chops, brats, hot dogs and burgers. Did not have a camp stove and tried to use for cast iron with eggs and pancakes and sausage. Worked OK, but took a while to get the pans hot and used a lot of fuel in the mean time.

Overall I would reccommend that little sucker for no more than 4-6 people. But it does get nice and HOT.

There is the Q200 for a larger size, but honestly this little sucker doesnt take up a lot of trunk space and did a great job.

Brookhaven, GA

2012 Large | Mid 90's Medium

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Hands down the TEC Cherokee is the best. I've used three different ones over 10 years. Very expensive but the best.

Academy has one that is very similar for several hundred less.

If its a once or twice a year thing, I'd get the one from academy. If you will use it often, go with the TEC.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    Options
  • Hokie_Smoker
    Options

I have a never ending need to give Jimmy Buffett money.  I've had this grill for about 5 years and it works great.  http://www.margaritavillecargo.com/product.aspx?pid=6793

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    michigan_jason  has it right. Get a LP tank and a hose next to  you Egg. They will never tell the difference. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Z_Eggineer
    Options
    You can also retrofit the egg to use propane.  There is a video on youtube. (I don't recommend permanent modifications)
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    The weber q series are great grills. Only issue is they don't burn quite hot enough. I'm thinking ill try slightly boring out the gas holes with my torch drill bits. But still the best portable grill for the money IMO.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Foghorn
    Options

Thanks for all the great input. 

@TUTTLE871, since I don't know my way around College Station, I found a company that apparently is on a variety of college campuses that leases space and sets up tailgating canopies for people.  They set up some chairs and a table and transport all your gear from your car to the canopy they have set up for you.  They do this in the park across the street from the stadium.  I'm pretty sure there are some places around the stadium that don't cost money - and allow charcoal grills - and while I am there this weekend I will try to figure out where to do that for next time.  As a result, I am not interested in spending much money on a portable gas grill that I may only use once.  It's not like I need another grill.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Dfishel
    Dfishel Posts: 104
    Options
  • Foghorn
    Options

Dfishel said:
    Mini egg!!

My ProQ travels easily as I can lift it by the handle on top. It gives me two 20 inch cooking surfaces if I bring the whole thing - or one if I leave the mid section at home. So, it is hard for me to justify buying a mini.

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Options
    Swing by Salado and you can take mine. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    I have a Coleman Roadtrip grill and like it for tailgating.
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    @MJG, thanks.  I saw the Coleman online and it looks like a good option as well, along with the grill recommended by @travisstrick

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn
    Options

@travisstrick, so I narrowed it down to the Coleman or the one you recommended and went out last night to see what was available locally and potentially compare them.  I got a version (not exactly the one in your link) of the Outdoor Gourmet because I couldn't find the Coleman at either Bass Pro Shop or Academy so it was no contest.  It has a collapsable rolling stand, a small side table that folds up and two burners that are front/back rather than left/right - all for $99.99.  My son and I put it together last night and it seems pretty reasonably built and it gets plenty hot.  Thanks for the recommendation.  Thanks to others as well for their input. 

My daughter has informed me that she will have a bunch of hungry friends stopping to tailgate with us, so (if Costco has what I want) we're going with blackened beef tenderloin sandwiches (thanks to a suggestion from another tailgate thread on here) and Johnsonville brats. 

The last time I went tailgating, I was a high school senior and a guest with my parents at another family's site at the 1980 Orange Bowl national championship game between FSU and Oklahoma.....

San Antonio, TX

• travisstrick
    Options
    I'm glad I could help.
  • Foghorn
    Options
    You should know that when I looked at the only online review of the grill you recommended it described terrible problems and suggest that nobody should buy it.  When I talked to my son about our options he said "Who are you gonna trust? Some random person online - or Travis?"

San Antonio, TX

• Village Idiot
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    "Who are you gonna trust? Some random person online - or Travis?"
    I recommend that you take it back for a refund.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• travisstrick
    Options
    My dad has the $700 TEC and the academy one. He primarily uses the academy version. He lives on the Gulf of Mexico and even the salt air hasn't ruined it yet.

Your son is wise beyond his years. :ar!
  • Foghorn
    Options
    "Your son is wise beyond his years"

Yes he is. When we grill and camp together I tend to be the immature pyromaniac and he is the voice of safety/wisdom/reason. That's why I trusted him on this issue.

Of course, if this grill malfunctions on Saturday then I know who to blame...

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    If he trust Travis... Drug test =P~
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mickey
    Options
    henapple said:
    If he trust Travis... Drug test =P~
    Is the test on Travis or Fog or both???????????

• Foghorn
    Options
    I think he meant to test my son.

San Antonio, TX

• Mickey
    Options
    Foghorn said:

I know your Son. He is quite normal, its the other two I worry about.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Foghorn said:

lols jk broski...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Foghorn
    Options

"lols jk broski... "

Understood.  I was just trying to clarify for Mickey.  Poor fella can't read and it seems to have gotten him confused. 

San Antonio, TX