Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First Pork Shoulder - 10 pounder, bone-in

Fired up the egg on Friday night for my first "real" pork shoulder.  I did one small 4.5 pounder but this was much more intensive and a much bigger learning experience.

I went with a mix of cherry and pecan wood with Royal Oak lump and went in at 250-265* throughout the cook.  I rubbed it down with JB's Cowgirl Rub and mustard.  My cook started a bit hot (around 300*) but settled down and went about 14 hours at 257*.  Overall, a fun and successful cook!

Large BGE
Lexington, SC
·

Comments

• radamoradamo Posts: 355
    Looks very nice. My last few we're boneless. Need to find a bone in shoulder soon.
    Long Island, NY
    ·
  • Looks good buddy.  
    LGE - Roswell, GA
    ·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,644
    looks good to me.  Yes, I feel bone in is better.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
  • Why do you guys like bone in? 
    Albion, PA
    ·
  • GrillmagicGrillmagic Posts: 1,022
    No need to answer but I bet that tasted GOOD!!!
    ·
  • GrillmagicGrillmagic Posts: 1,022
    edited September 2013
    Bone in for me, everything taste better with the bone in, Spatchedcock Chicken, Rack of Lamb, Pork Crown Roast... Porter House, T Bone, Pork Chops...
    ·
  • jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,616
     I like a bone-in butt because I believe the bone helps to conduct the heat into the meat, resulting in a more thorough, shorter cook.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
    ·