Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gameday Fah-hee-tahs

Eggcelsior
Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
Bad news - my team lost. Good news - the entire NFC East lost. On to the highlights...

I marinated skirt steaks for 3 hours in Mojo since I had some left over and I was feeling lazy. After the game, I fired up the Egg with the baking steel on egg feet above an inverted plate setter. I dialed the egg in around 500.

While the egg stabilized, I sliced up red and white onions plus red and yellow bell peppers. I tossed them with a little oil and Fajita-ish DP seasoning. I also made tortilla dough. Then on the peppers went.

I pounded my meat then seasoned it with the DP(I also did chicken).

I then seared the chicken first.

imageimage

At the last minute, I decided on some tomatoes, so I tossed them on with the steak for an umami bomb.

All sexy and stuff.

Like I said, I was feeling lazy, so I ate off paper plates. Oh, and I took crappy cellphone pics. Homemade tortillas are where it's at. They would make cardboard taste good. The fajitas were fantastic.

Comments

• Those look amazing!

Quick question, how long do you cook both sides for?  I don't have a platesetter yet but when I do I've gotta try egg-fajitas!
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @mabowden, I pounded the meat to 1/4 inch thickness and seared for 2-3 minutes per side. You don't need the plate setter for this. If you have a cast iron pan you can do this direct. I just used it for this because my baking steel transfers heat exceedingly well and I didn't want to have the heat run away on me.
  • Looks good, EC.  I rarely make my own tortillas.  In Houston, we had tortillerias all over, and here in Drippin', there's a tortilleria in my local HEB.  Either way, fresh sure beats the packaged kind.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    =D> Nice job and props on making your own tortillas. I often see posts like this and say I'm gonna try making my own, but usually get lazy and stop at a Mexican restaurant, Taco Cabana or Central market on the way home and pick up fresh made ones.Someday, though, someday...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    You da man: making your own tortillas
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Looks great!
    Long Island, NY
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Fabulous fajitas. And extra credit for the tortillas! Like VI said, here in Tejas, fresh tortillas are easy to come by, so I'm one of the lazy ones too.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.