Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cook what in Dutch Oven?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've read lots of you talking about your dutch ovens. What do you cook in them? I read through the recipe section and don't see any using a dutch oven. Are there any good recipes using the ovens? I don't have one yet but I have to assume that chili would be great in one.

Comments

• Jethro
    Jethro Posts: 495
    edbro,[p]I use one when making baked beans or brunswick stew. Don't let the New Eglanders see this they think you HAVE to use a pot of some type or another :-).[p]Jethro
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,674
    Jethro,
    you can fix canned beans in a castiron, but you cant make real beans from scratch in one. that would be like making pulled pork in a crockpot

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • katman
    katman Posts: 331
    fishlessman,
    Yup. You got to have a real bean pot.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    IMG_0436.jpg
    <p />edbro,
    one of the best items is Clay's Pulled Beef, but they are also great for stews, chili etc. Now before you buy one though may I suggest selecting a Lodge Camp Style model. It has three eggs and that allows a more uniform all around cook when you sit it on an inverted plate sitter or on bricks. This is a pix of mine when new - it's shiny black now and well seasoned.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fishlessman
    edbro,
    pot roast,beef stew, clays pulled beef, gumbo, chili, brunswick stew, pea soup, pork soup, meat pies, pot pies, coq au vin, squash casserole. i like the enameled ones for anything with tomatoes, but they both work

fukahwee maine

• RRP,
    It has "three eggs"? Boy, talk about a one track mind![p]Seriously though, thanks for the tip. I am in the market for one. I just had to find some recipes to justify it.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    edbro,[p]Pot roast...[p]pot-roast-served.jpg[p]Seafood gumbo...[p]
    seafood-gumbo-cooking.jpg[p]Brunswick stew...[p]
    brunswick-stew.jpg[p]Chili...[p]
    chili.jpg[p]This one isn't in a dutch oven, but it's pretty handy to have for cornbread to go with the chili...[p]
    cornbread.jpg

• thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    acc65dc9.jpg
    <p />fishlessman,[p]You're right, a real bean pot does make a better pot of beans, hands down. But if your makin' 5 or 6 quarts, western style, with a bunch of hocks, some onions & chilis etc., you can make due with a dutch oven ;)[p]d02b78ed.jpg[p]Happy Trails[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • QBabe
    Oops, forgot the beans...[p]larry's-famous-beans-cooking.jpg[p]Cooked on the small egg, in a 2 quart dutch oven...[p]larry's-famous-beans-done.jpg
  • thirdeye
    QBabe,[p]Now you're talkin' my language. Nice pictures.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• QBabe,[p]Any recipes for the outstanding looking food you posted?

• fishlessman
    edbro,
    heres a good gumbo recipe/technique that chef wil posted a while back. its real good poured over biscuits for breafast[p]

[ul][li]gumbo[/ul]
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    thirdeye,
    do you have a good recipe for that or just make it on the fly. i could see myself skipping the coffee for brekfast, cracking a beer, and going straight for those beans. nice

fukahwee maine

• QBabe
    Pete,[p]Here's the pot roast recipe...[p]Tonia
    :~)

[ul][li]QBabe's Dutch Oven Pot Roast[/ul]
  • QBabe
    Pete,[p]Here's the Brunswick Stew
    [ul][li]Red's Brunswick Stew[/ul]
  • QBabe
    Pete,[p]The Seafood Gumbo, Beans and Chili were things that were just thrown together. No formal recipe on those. The cornbread was out of a box, I think.[p]Tonia
    :~)

• RRP
    edbro,
    LOL - I hadn't caught that! Right now I have a triple batch of pizza sauce cooking in my other cast iron Dutch oven on the stove. I guess I should have pointed out that the conventional flat bottom one is more versatile inside in the oven and on the stove than the 3 "egged" camp style. When you go shopping check Amazon - they typically have a good price, free shipping and no taxes paid to your state uncle!

• thirdeye
    fishlessman,[p]
    d10a770c.jpg[p]Like most one pot meals, I wing it a little more often than not, but this is the recipe I have written down.[p]Smoke your hocks or shanks ahead of time. They freeze great and are wonderful in most stews.[p]
    ~thirdeye~[p]Pinto Beans[p]3 cups washed Pinto beans
    3 or 4 twice smoked ham hocks (or shanks) (or few strips bacon) (or 1/3 lb salt pork)
    1 onion, chopped and sweated.
    2 green onions with tops, chopped and sweated.
    2 split and seeded jalapenos (or serrano peppers), chopped
    2 or 3 mild green chilis like Anaheim or Big Jim, roasted, skinned then chopped.
    3-4 garlic cloves, roasted and mashed into paste.
    1 bay leaf
    1/2 T. dry mustard
    1 T. Worcestershire sauce
    2 T. chili powder “Top Hat” is my favorite
    1 can extra Hot Rotel Tomatoes (optional)
    1 or 2 t Summer Savory
    1 t Epazote
    black pepper to taste
    salt to taste
    Sriracha “hot” chili sauce served at the table.[p]
    Cover beans with water and soak overnight. For this years crop, soak about 3 or 4 hours only.[p]Drain the water off of the beans, put in large pot and cover with fresh water by at least 2 inches.
    Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. (This is when they go on the Egg). Add the ham hocks, onions, garlic, peppers, bay leaf, mustard, Summer Savory, epazote, black pepper and chili powder. Simmer with lid on, but ajar, until nearly done, adding water anywhere along the way if they get too dry. Lastly, add the Worcestershire and tomatoes and cook for about 30 minutes more. Remove the hocks and pick the meat off of the bone, return to beans. Salt to taste at the end to avoid making the skin on the beans tough.[p]To reduce heat, use regular canned tomatoes and/or omit the serranos.[p]For smoky beans, remove the cover for the final 2 hours keeping your eye on the liquid level. (The smoked hocks will give the beans a fair amount of smoke flavor)

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• chuckls
    chuckls Posts: 399
    RRP,[p]I just happen to have three extra BGE feet - in your opinion, if I got a flat-bottom dutch oven, could I use the three BGE feet to turn it into a "camp style" dutch for use in the egg?[p]Chuck
  • fishlessman
    thirdeye,
    looks real good, will have to find a source for the Epazote and will give it a try. thanks

fukahwee maine

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    edbro,
    I had some of my pulled beef BBQ for lunch today. The Lodge Dutch oven is one of my favorite "tools".[p]Here's another reason to get a Lodge Camp Dutch oven;
    Jerry's Beef Hash (with my adjustments-sorry, don't have original recipe)[p]2 Chuck roasts
    1 onion chopped
    1/2 stick of butter
    1 cup water
    1 t. sage
    1 t. pepper
    2 t. salt
    2 cloves garlic chopped
    1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/4, cup yellow mustard (add more if you want)[p]Cut meat into cubes, add butter, onion, garlic to Dutch oven and cook to brown up the meat- about 15 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients except mustard, simmer(325 dome)uncovered untill meat is very tender. Mash meat until soft, add mustard. Taste and add salt or pepper if needed. Serve with smashed potatoes and a beer or two.
    Clay[p]

• RRP
    chuckls,
    sure...the only hassle MIGHT be that when you stir the pot too vigorously it MIGHT slip - but so what?

• ShortRib
    ShortRib Posts: 180
    thirdeye,
    When talking about onions, what does "sweated" mean???

• thirdeye
    fishlessman,[p]Not having epazote is not a show stopper. It is popular in southern Mexico for black bean dishes and used in Mayan dishes too. The flavor is earthy and citrus like. It's claim to fame is the reduction of flatulence.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    ShortRib,[p]Sweating uses a little lower temp than a saute. Heat them through until they are just soft and translucent, but not long enough to carmelize them.[p]~thirdeye~

Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• QBabe,[p]You're killing me..lol it's 1am and now I'm extremely hungry.[p]phillip
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Sept262005063.jpg
    <p />Named so because Nature Boy requests this for comfort food at competitions.
    It came together at one competion using stuff we had on hand.... and when we wanted something other than bbq.[p]The recipe varies but it's basically:
    ~ a couple tablespoons oil
    ~ 2 heads garlic, chopped
    ~ 2 medium onions, chopped
    ~ 2 red, yellow or green peppers, chopped
    ~ a couple medium potatoes, diced
    ~ a couple roma tomatoes, chopped
    ~ 1 pound keilbasa, cut into 1/4" thick wheels.
    ~ 1 to 2 pounds chicken thigh meat cut into bite size.
    ~ about 14 oz. chicken broth
    ~ 12 oz. can of PBR
    ~ a couple good shakes of Dizzy Pig Red Eye or Swamp Venom or Jamacian Firewalk[p]Add oil to the dutch oven over med high heat. Wait until it just starts to smoke then add keilbasa and brown stirring often so's not to burn. Remove with slotted spoon then brown the chicken. Remove the chicken.[p]Lower the heat if you can or raise the DO up from the heat. Wait a few minutes if you need to.
    Add the chopped garlic. Constantly stir with a flat bottomed spoon. [p]Be careful at this point....Do Not Burn The Garlic! It will go bitter and you'll have to toss it out and start over.[p]When the garlic is a golden brown and starting to carmelize, add the onions and continue stirring. When the onions go soft add the peppers.
    After a few minutes, add the broth and beer and a few shakes of rub.
    Bring to a boil and close down the egg to lower the heat so it casually bubbles... no insane bubbling.
    After 45 minutes or so of simmering add the potatoes and stir them in. When they go soft, the stew is ready.... pull it off the heat and eat. Good with crusty bread.[p]If you let the stew simmer longer than 30 minutes or so after adding the potatoes, the potatoes will begin to break down and thicken up the broth.... which is ok if you like it that way but I like the broth being on the liquidy side with all the chunks of meat and veggies.[p]John[p]