Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First post, saying hello with a pork butt

I am excited to say hello and join a community of folks who enjoy the process and results which come from firing up the Egg.  I picked up my Egg a few months ago and have been a bit slow to sign up for an account, but wanted to post a picture from my first cook around the fourth of July when I offered (either with great bravery or stupidity) to home my wife's family of 25 for a cookout.  After 15 hours at a dome temp of 250 24 lbs of pork butt emerged from The Egg at a temp just over 200 degrees with a solid bark.  FYI, I used Chris Schlesinger's rub recipe with the addition of a bit more salt. I learned you don't have to be lucky or good, just get an Egg.  Anyway, thanks for all of the tips I've gathered so far, and I look forward to learning more from those who can't get that darn smoke smell out of their hair.
·

Comments

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    That's a good first cook,  Nothing like jumping right in.  Welcome.
  • Looks great...From the looks of it and a first cook you must have gotten a used Egg

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,269
    Looks good. Where are you from?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • HotchHotch Posts: 1,303
    Great start on your journey with the egg

"You’re not a real Texan till you’ve been kicked out of every decent state in America." - Joe Bob Briggs

LBGE, Mini BGE and R&V Fryer

Prosper TX

And your are correct, Texas Red has no Beans

·
  • Saying hello with pork is hard to beat.
    Scott
    Greenville ,Tx

Xl bge with woo2 and ajustable rack
    ·
  • DMWDMW Posts: 6,590
    Nice, pulled pork is my go-to cook for large crowds. I love that you can finish it early and FTC until everyone arrives and is ready to eat.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,247
    Great start... Welcome. Post lots of pictures.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Thanks for the support and warm welcome

@Mickey, I am a Massachusetts Egghead.

@Dougbacker, you are absolutely correct, I picked up my LBGE used from a guy who was unloading it in Maine.  While I understand I am missing out on the warranty, I did appreciate the fair price he offered ($500 for the egg, nest, cover, and shelves.)
    ·
  • Welcome.
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,230
    Welcome aboard.  Way to jump in-enjoy the journey.
    Louisville
    ·
  • Welcome aboard and good cooking

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
    ·