Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First post, saying hello with a pork butt

Options
I am excited to say hello and join a community of folks who enjoy the process and results which come from firing up the Egg.  I picked up my Egg a few months ago and have been a bit slow to sign up for an account, but wanted to post a picture from my first cook around the fourth of July when I offered (either with great bravery or stupidity) to home my wife's family of 25 for a cookout.  After 15 hours at a dome temp of 250 24 lbs of pork butt emerged from The Egg at a temp just over 200 degrees with a solid bark.  FYI, I used Chris Schlesinger's rub recipe with the addition of a bit more salt. I learned you don't have to be lucky or good, just get an Egg.  Anyway, thanks for all of the tips I've gathered so far, and I look forward to learning more from those who can't get that darn smoke smell out of their hair.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    That's a good first cook,  Nothing like jumping right in.  Welcome.
    Options
    Looks great...From the looks of it and a first cook you must have gotten a used Egg

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Looks good. Where are you from?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Great start on your journey with the egg
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    Saying hello with pork is hard to beat.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice, pulled pork is my go-to cook for large crowds. I love that you can finish it early and FTC until everyone arrives and is ready to eat.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Great start... Welcome. Post lots of pictures.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • shokunin
    Options
    Thanks for the support and warm welcome

@Mickey, I am a Massachusetts Egghead.

@Dougbacker, you are absolutely correct, I picked up my LBGE used from a guy who was unloading it in Maine.  While I understand I am missing out on the warranty, I did appreciate the fair price he offered ($500 for the egg, nest, cover, and shelves.)
  • Goatsegg
    Options
    Welcome.
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,382
    Options
    Welcome aboard.  Way to jump in-enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CajunEggHead
    Options
    Welcome aboard and good cooking

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen