Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Rib Help Needed - Adjustable Rig Cook with Guru

Options
Hello folks - doing baby backs today for the first time with my new adjustable rig and also using the BBQ guru for the first time. My previous rib endeavors were at grid level, no rack, bone side down at a dome temp between 250 and 275. I'll be doing the same thing just higher now with the grid on top of the rig so the ribs will be about six inches higher in the dome. Here are my questions: 1. What grid temp should I set the guru for? I'm thinking 225-250 because I'm guessing that's what my grid temp range the old way probably was? 2. What timing works best for you? I've used 3-1-.5 and been pretty pleased but also wondered if it should be more like 2.5-1-1 to make the ribs more firm 3. What wood do you prefer - Seems like fruit wood is the most popular on the forum. Thanks!

Comments

• R3K
    R3K Posts: 52
    Options

I've only done 2 rib cooks so far (still kinda new to the BGE) but both times they turned out great.  I like my ribs a little more tender without being mushy so here's my process.

I also have the adjustable rig set up and do my ribs above the felt line into the dome.  I do them indirect, with a drip pan with no water or juice in it, and I do them between 250 - 275 for about 2 hours bone side down.  I use a fruit type wood for the smoke/flavor because pork seems to accept the fruit woods a bit better, and taste better and I spritz them with apple juice about every 30-40 minutes.   After the initial 2 hour cook, I wrap them in foil with some brown sugar, butter, and honey in it (put the honey mixture on the foil then put the ribs on bone side down into the mixture) and put them back on the grill for another hour, meat side down.  After the hour in the foil, I wrap them in a towel and put in a cooler for another hour.  4 hours total and the ribs are delicious!  I'm sure others have different methods, but so far, this has worked out wonderful for me!

• Vol97ATL
    Options
    Thanks - I was thinking of doing a honey/brown sugar combination in the foil
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited September 2013
    Options
    Just my 2cents and I do not intend to piss you off. But please put the Guru back in the box for a rib cook. You need to be able to do those cooks with your eyes closed. Once more not intended to upset you.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Cullum
    Cullum Posts: 215
    Options
    You can cook them low (225 and up) or you can cook them turbo (350 degrees). It's fun just to experiment. I've had great success with turbo cooks with ribs. Each rack will cook differently so exact timing doesn't always work. I look for the meat to pull back from the bone about a 1/4" and check for tenderness with a toothpick or bend test. I really like the Guru. I set it at the temp I want the grate temp to be and it holds it steady the whole cook. Not a necessary tool to use with the egg but pretty accurate temps with it. I really like hickory for baby backs or any fruit woods and I like oak for spares. To me any wood would work great. Another thing to experiment with. 
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    R3K said:

After the hour in the foil, I wrap them in a towel and put in a cooler for another hour.  4 hours total and the ribs are delicious!  I'm sure others have different methods, but so far, this has worked out wonderful for me!

I take it you leave them in the foil in the cooler, and don't finish them off with sauce at the end?
    Judy in San Diego