Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb Shanks are on

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Here they are, will post pics when finished.
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• Springram
    Options
    Oh, boy!  Keep it coming........of course the recipe will follow soon?  :<)

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • DMW
    Options
    @Springram I am largely following the advice posted by Little Steven yesterday. Coated the lamb with a mix of EVOO, garlic, parsley rosemary, kosher salt, black pepper. Seared the lamb in the dutch oven first, then moved to the grill. After browning, moved off the grill back to the pan. Added a mix of chopped celery, carrots, onions, and a half bell pepper to the dutch oven and sautéed. Then added some tomato paste. Then added 1C each of Chicken Stock/Beef Stock/Red Wine. I have a mix of root vegetables in there the lamb is resting on, onions, carrots, turnips, potatoes. My first time doing this one, so we'll see. Oh, I am holding the temp around 300*.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • DMW
    Options
    Also should have mentioned, the lid is on the dutch oven once the lamb is in.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Springram
    Options
    @DMW - thanks so much. No doubt it is going to be great.

Springram
    Spring, Texas
    LBGE and Mini
  • Little Steven
    Options
    Mine are just sitting in the rub. Yours look big...American? I'm just gonna go with a straight hot grill for the sear. I'm going to leave the lid off the tajine for a while. Probably won't make much difference but going to give it a try, maybe enrich the gravy a bit.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DMW
    Options
    And this just came out of the oven. Oh for another egg....
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    Options
    @Little Steven, yes mine are much larger than yours looked like. I never bought lamb shanks before, these were at the local farmer's market, assuming they are "American" since I am in America? I didn't know there were different styles...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Dfishel
    Dfishel Posts: 104
    Options
    I can't wait to see the finished product
  • Little Steven
    Options
    New Zealand lamb is very popular here. The Canadian lamb shanks are much bigger than the NZ ones. Canadian stuff is way more flavourful IMHO and I expect it would be the same with the US stuff.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DMW
    Options
    Just checked the packaging. Labeled product of USA.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• DMW
    Options
    Just checked it, looks like it is done. My folks will be here in 20 min or so, so I shut down the egg.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Yes little Steven... Our meat is bigger. =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    Options
    It's dinner time.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Little Steven
    Options
    Dude, looking good! I'm 3/4 in the bag after watching the leafs beat philly. I'll post the pics tomorrow.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    Dayum that looks great. I was going to do some chicken bombs today but woke up with the worst head cold I've had in probably at least 10 years.  The wife used the kitchen clock to make chili and chicken and dumplings which would have been fine if I could taste them.  Thank you for letting me live vicariously through you today.  Nicely done!!
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • milesbrown4
    Options
    Well Done - looks like a cowboy cook