Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First post, saying hello with a pork butt

I am excited to say hello and join a community of folks who enjoy the process and results which come from firing up the Egg.  I picked up my Egg a few months ago and have been a bit slow to sign up for an account, but wanted to post a picture from my first cook around the fourth of July when I offered (either with great bravery or stupidity) to home my wife's family of 25 for a cookout.  After 15 hours at a dome temp of 250 24 lbs of pork butt emerged from The Egg at a temp just over 200 degrees with a solid bark.  FYI, I used Chris Schlesinger's rub recipe with the addition of a bit more salt. I learned you don't have to be lucky or good, just get an Egg.  Anyway, thanks for all of the tips I've gathered so far, and I look forward to learning more from those who can't get that darn smoke smell out of their hair.
·

Comments

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    That's a good first cook,  Nothing like jumping right in.  Welcome.
  • Looks great...From the looks of it and a first cook you must have gotten a used Egg

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,468
    Looks good. Where are you from?
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • HotchHotch Posts: 1,483
    Great start on your journey with the egg

"You’re not a real Texan till you’ve been kicked out of every decent state in America." - Joe Bob Briggs

LBGE, Mini BGE and R&V Fryer

Prosper TX

And your are correct, Texas Red has no Beans

·
  • Saying hello with pork is hard to beat.
    Scott
    Greenville ,Tx

Xl bge with woo2 and ajustable rack
    ·
  • DMWDMW Posts: 7,093
    Nice, pulled pork is my go-to cook for large crowds. I love that you can finish it early and FTC until everyone arrives and is ready to eat.
    My Facebook Place where I document my cooking
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - Hasty Bake Legacy - Black Stone Pizza Oven - Gasser - 30" Firepit w/SS Cooking Grid
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,589
    Great start... Welcome. Post lots of pictures.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Thanks for the support and warm welcome

@Mickey, I am a Massachusetts Egghead.

@Dougbacker, you are absolutely correct, I picked up my LBGE used from a guy who was unloading it in Maine.  While I understand I am missing out on the warranty, I did appreciate the fair price he offered ($500 for the egg, nest, cover, and shelves.)
    ·
  • Welcome.
    -The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,676
    Welcome aboard.  Way to jump in-enjoy the journey.
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • Welcome aboard and good cooking

1 Large Big Green Egg
     1 Weber Kettle
     1 Weber Weber Smokey Mountain 18"
     1 Long Horn Off Set
     1 Bradley Smoker
     1 Weber Silver Gasser
     1 Weber Smokey Joe Small
     1 Orange Thermapen
    ·