Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overtightned bands?

Options
So I know we are "supposed" to torque our bands to 10 ft/lbs and until the bolts bend but I am wondering if  "over tightening" the bands can also cause issues?

My bands tend to slip a little when at higher temps and my band bolts are very tight.(bolts are very bent) almost to the point where the flanges on the band ends (part the bolt goes through are almost touching together).

Not sure what happens to ceramic and the bands when heated but maybe the over tightening/torqueing can cause problems just like not tightening enough does???

Anyway's... I have a torque wrench for my next assembly:)

What you think, I can't figure it out???

Jamie.
Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    My experience, my MBGE takes a couple of cooks to settle in. I take the dome off to replace the gasket and have done that at least four times. 
    Once assembled with band bolts torqued to spec, do a cook with dome temp in the 400º range and hold the temp for at least an hour. (Spatch a chicken?) 
    Let the egg cool overnight and the next day recheck the band torque. Mine is typically off by 10% - around 10 inch pounds, so I correct it. 
    After one more cook, I check them again and they are always in spec. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    The bolts on the hinge itself (not carridge bolts) do they need tightening and if so what bolts on the hinge effect what movement...front to back etc? I just tightened the lowest bolts on the hinge(lowest pivot point and the dome got really hard to open?? The bolts were not tight there so I figured id thighten them? Ive since loosened them and the dome is free again??
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).