Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lamb Shank? Howto?

Options
DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
Just picked these up. Have never done before, looking for ideas and opinions.
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    edited September 2013
    Options

I've got some for tomorrow. You don't need the tagine, a dutch oven will work great. This was my first attempt in the tagine. Go about half the cooking liquid you think is right and check after an hour or so.

Shanks rubbed with garlic, olive oil, sea salt, pepper, parsley and rosemary blended
    Gettin a little crowded in my little patch o paridise
    Some mirepoix gettin all shoogily
    some stuff to keep the lamb out of the braise. Braise is chicken stock red, wine and some Warre's 1985 port.
    The little beauties in the tajine
    Lamb was amazing!
    Edit: Here's another one. I liked the Irish ale better than the port/stock/wine combo. Still had too much liquid but I'm gonna fix that tomorrow.

Lamb rubbed with blended rosemary, roasted garlic, thyme, parsley, olive oil and lemon zest

Seared in the tajine base

Grilled the seared ones while searing the rest

Started some mirepoix with parsnips for sweetness

Got it caramelised

Added some tomato paste and cooked down for more sweet

Put in a pint of Kilkenny Irish ale and some chicken stock

Put in shallots, white turnip, carrots, parsnips, white and red onion

Stuffed the shanks in, covered and cooked at 250* for three hours

Some herbs and lemon zest

Made roasted garlic and rosemary mashed potatoes but Gary upstaged me so I took the white turnip, parsnips, some of the onions, shallots and whipped them in to the potatoes with whipping cream

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• DMW
    Options
    @Little Steven thanks, how long do you grill them before the braise? Also, how do you check for doneness on these?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Little Steven
    Options
    You are only browning them. Just till you get a nice dark caramelisation, or Maillard reaction (that was for Nola). The darker the colour the sweeter it will be.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Options
    Sorry I didn't answer the doneness question. You can just look at the pullback on the bone or stick a fork in one and twist. They are pretty tender when done. You don't want them falling apart but very tender. I've used Stephen Raichland's olive wood for smoke each time too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Que_n_Brew
    Options
    Wow Little Steven, that's an impressive cook with an excellent presentation. Nicely done. =D>
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Little Steven
    Options

@Que n Brew,

Thanks, they are about my favourite meal. Really looking forward to tomorrow.          

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Spaightlabs
    Options
    Nicely done. Beautiful cook.
  • DMW
    Options
    @Little Steven I'll be doing mine tomorrow as well, will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the advice!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Little Steven
    Options
    You may want to increase the heat to 280-300* As I remember I think I was 4 hours or so at 250*. It's a moist cook so you won't gain anything at lower temps.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,528
    Options
    I knew LS the LS guru would chime in ^:)^
    canuckland