Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Vent Opening Using BBQ Guru DX2

Can anyone tell me what opening I should use on the BGE top vent ?

I have just taken delivery of the BBQ Guru DX2 and it does not mention what I should do with the top vent on the BGE (fully open, closed, 1/2 way ?)
·

Comments

• When I use mine the top vent is just opened by a very small amount once the food is on.

Key Largo,Florida   Gambrills, Maryland
    LBGE 07/10/12, High Que grate, Kick Ash Basket, SmokeWear Cap, Adjustable Rig, Woo
    Mini Max 2/3/15

Other Accessories: Stoker, Stoker II, Amaz-n-smoker, Thermapen,

·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,989
    I have an auber stoker and for low and slow smokes I only leave the top vent open a very little bit. I also make sure the temperature is stabilized before I turn the stoker on, I let it bring the egg to temp once and it overshot it.
    ·
  • Thanks for this

Do you know if the "blower" is rain proof... it rains here quite a bit and so I intend to use with the control box under cover but the blower will have to take the rain ?

·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,989
    I've not used my stoker in the rain, but I was going to make something to keep it out of the rain.
    ·