Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
There are two very delicious food holidays coming up that we wanted to share with you all because cheese and guac deserve to be celebrated! Guacamole Day is on September 16th and Cheeseburger Day is on September 18th. Happy cooking EGGheads! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Holding temp problem

So... I am trying beef jerky for the first time. I am having a hard time keeping temp below 200. Both dampers are opened a tiny slit only. I am sitting at 212 now. Can't stay below 200. Can I do anything else. I am using a Maverick to measure grid temp. Thanks!'
Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith

Comments

• FoghornFoghorn Posts: 1,621

I find it really hard to get down low once I pass the target temp.  Usually it is no big deal to be 25 - 50 degrees over target, but clearly in this case it is. 

I don't have a good answer for you, but I guess you could try cooling the ceramic by running a hose on the outside of it....  Or covering the egg with moist towels... Or just shutting down and restarting the fire when you get down to 170...

Hopefully, somebody will have a better suggestion.

Good luck.

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

• Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 2,779
    edited September 2013
    I would think a big pan full of ice water would help if you have room for it in the egg

-----------------------------------------

Large BGE. Small BGE Henderson, Ky. Waitin to find a Sasquatch to Egg.
  • I opened the lid for a few seconds, then closed it. Seems stable at 207. I think I'll just leave it there for now. Thanks for the suggestions!
    Ninety feet between bases is perhaps as close as man has ever come to perfection." -- Red Smith