Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Quick Help Needed

Options
Chris_Wang
Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
Egg has stayed around 300 with 3 slabs of STL spares on it. I typically cook them around 4.5 hours at 250. How much of a time difference should I expect? When should I start checking for doneness?

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

Comments

• Que_n_Brew
    Options
    It's all good. Many people cook them at 325. I'd do a bend test at 3hrs and then every half hour afte that.
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    +1

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    You can do the math and hurt yourself or just realize every piece of meat behaves on its own and check as mentioned above.  This will not be the last time you have to audible the cook.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Que_n_Brew
    Options
    How did they turn out Chris?
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!
  • Chris_Wang
    Options
    Turned out great. Two of the slabs were a modified Trigg (brown sugar, honey, parkay, tiger sauce; just not as much). The other one was Aaron Franklin style.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Chris_Wang
    edited September 2013
    Options
    @lousubcap @Que_n_Brew @Mattman3969 since I have a medium egg, I cut my ribs into halves and cook them in the rib rack. Bend test is out, but the toothpick test works fine. My only problem is that I'm not quite sure what "no resistance" actually feels like. With brisket it's obvious... butta. Same with ribs? The pork never falls off the bone (which I know is a good thing), but all the pork doesn't pull away either from the bone while we are eating them. Does that make sense? In other words, while eating a rib, there is always still meat left on the bones. Any suggestions? Is that right? Anyone else feel free to chime in.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer