Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Testing direct pork butt, small BGE.

I traveled for business this week.  Got home at midnight Friday night and my wife had packed for our weekend trip to a friend's cabin near Jamestown, TN.  We left at 6:30am this morning. 

She's riding in the WMA with her friend and I am to stay home, BBQ, watch the Aggies (Whoop!), and drink beer.  She knew our friend had a Big Green Egg so my wife packed all the BBQ fixings and thawed a 5 lb. butt from a hog we had processed in the fall.

We arrive and I start to prep the butt and go to light the Egg and realize it's a small, with only a cast iron grate, no plate setter, no pizza stone.  So I've rigged a pseudo indirect by using a small pan in which I have created a rack to keep the butt out of the grease using rolled up foil.  However, it's really a direct setup so I'm going to do a turbo around 325/350 until > 165 internal then drop the temp until just before dinner. 

Will post pictures or at least results.

Comments

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    Looking forward to see how this turns out.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Can't wait to see the pics. I did similar with a turkey breast. Are you putting liquid in your pan? I didn't at first but noticed the drippings burning because of direct contact of fire and pan so I added chicken stock and water

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Sounds like good improvisation!  I am sure it will be fine.  LIke Mattman said you may need to do something about the pork fat drippings. Another idea is to throw a bunch of onions in the pan.  Good luck!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Bozzy
    Bozzy Posts: 27
    Internal hit 165 @ 3:45 pm when Aggies lead at the end of the first quarter 14-7.  Shut down egg to see if I can get it to 220-250.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,321

Great audible-once you know the game plan then the execution is easy.  Enjoy the weekend and great eats!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    I'm also interested to see how this comes out.

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    How'd it do?

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    @Bozzy is probably lost to the world drowning his sorrows because of the outcome of the game...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Bozzy
    Up here in the cabin with little/no cell reception, my phone had no juice for pictures.  So here it is in words....

After the roller-coaster of a ride and a very exciting and close 4th quarter, I set to pulling the pork.  The butt was nicely done and the foil grid I placed in the pan to keep the butt out of the grease worked as desired.  The butt was juicy and minus a few tough spots it pulled very easily.  It had a nice smoke ring.

The cabin owner and I hogged most of the smoky outer chunks while everyone else had pulled pork on buns.  

Overall, I'm very satisfied with the butt and may even do a turbo butt indirect at home as another test. 

Put butt on (direct in a pan with foil "logs" to keep it out of grease" at 11:00 at 350
    Flipped fat side down at 2pm
    at 3:45 the internal had hit 165 so I backed the egg off as much as I could
    Removed it from the egg at 6pm and the internal was 185
    Pulled it after a 45 minute rest in foil

Sorry for the lack of pictures. 
  • Bozzy
    Foghorn said:
    @Bozzy is probably lost to the world drowning his sorrows because of the outcome of the game...
    Nothing like beer, BBQ, and friends to help wash away the tears!  Actually, it was a very good game and am proud of my Aggies.  All of Saban's/Bama's revenge games until today were > 21 points.  

Whoop!
  • Here is your chance to show your friends how the egg really works and how the food should really taste. Go get em! Have fun.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Dealing with what you had like that is awesome. Not sure what I would have done without a PS.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker