Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Testing direct pork butt, small BGE.

I traveled for business this week.  Got home at midnight Friday night and my wife had packed for our weekend trip to a friend's cabin near Jamestown, TN.  We left at 6:30am this morning. 

She's riding in the WMA with her friend and I am to stay home, BBQ, watch the Aggies (Whoop!), and drink beer.  She knew our friend had a Big Green Egg so my wife packed all the BBQ fixings and thawed a 5 lb. butt from a hog we had processed in the fall.

We arrive and I start to prep the butt and go to light the Egg and realize it's a small, with only a cast iron grate, no plate setter, no pizza stone.  So I've rigged a pseudo indirect by using a small pan in which I have created a rack to keep the butt out of the grease using rolled up foil.  However, it's really a direct setup so I'm going to do a turbo around 325/350 until > 165 internal then drop the temp until just before dinner. 

Will post pictures or at least results.

Comments