Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sain Louis Style Baby Backs

Options
Second time using dual probe.  Can you be effective with a probe in ribs?  Put them on @ 11:30 this morning.  Currently reading 165 on the ribs and 261 on the egg.  Using the 3-2-1 method.  Any thoughts or suggestions.
MBGE, Mini BGE, Table, Accessories, Maverick Dual Probe, Growing

Comments

• PanamaPat
    Options
    The egg has now drifted to 257 the ribs are now @ 171.  What do you think?  I am concerned about using the probe in the ribs?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    My best indicators for when ribs are finished are the bend test-pick up a full rack on one end and if they bend around 90* they are finished; or the toothpick test-in and out of the thickest part of the rib meat with no resistance and you are there.  I don't use a thermo on ribs.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options
    I don't use a probe either; I wait until the bone ends are adequately exposed and then do Lou's bend test to be sure.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Your rib cook is history now, but I never use a probe type to monitor ribs since placement can be tricky. What I do use though is my Thermapen to test doneness. Temp of meat between the bones needs to be 196 to 200 and I always check several places so I know I didn't hit a bone or a pocket throwing the reading off.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • PanamaPat
    Options

Thanks for the information.  Will remember and put to use on next ribs.  Will be purchasing a Thermapen.