Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

the garbage can lid is your friend!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,897
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
Here's a little trick that keeps peace in our family...When I have a messy meal such as these wings that have been marinating for a couple days it really is best to put them on a hot grate at the same time inside our home. Rather than to drip drip drip out the kitchen, across the carpeted porch, across the deck onto the egg a simple garbage can lid is a great carrier! You can buy replacement lids at most any good hardware store for under $10. Isn't that a cheap price to keep peace in the family? LOL

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Looks like you are using the lid to cook indirect - not a bad idea.  How do you "put them on a hot grate at the same time inside" your home?  Do you heat the grid on the Egg, place it on the lid then add the wings and take it out to the Egg?  I marinate in a ziplock bag, take the whole thing out to the Egg and have no issue with dripping inside the house.  Either way, nice looking wings.
    Options
    and it has a handle. neat idea. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    edited September 2013
    Options
    LOL - no I don't cook with it - just to transport my dripping wings. Guess I should have been clearer - I do cook my wings indirect using my foil covered PS with legs up and then grate on that. Stabilize at 400 and that way my grate is very hot. I remove the grate place it in the lid and add my wings then return to the egg. That way my fire doesn't get away from me while the dome is open and I'm loading on the wings one by one. BTW that lid also makes a great shallow pan to clean my grates when the time comes so I don't scratch up the sink. And lastly here are the finished wings.image
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Good Guy RRP keeping guys off the couch.
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    Is that metal or plastic in photo?
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • RRP
    Options
    gpsegg said:
    Is that metal or plastic in photo?
    Metal for sake of rigidity.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

What a great idea RRP.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX