Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Beef Short Ribs problem, maybe?

I intended to attempt a beef short rib recipe for the game tomorrow (Roll Tide!). After picking up everything I needed for the recipe, I discovered that the meat dept. did not have beef short ribs...

They did, however, have boneless chuck short ribs. Anyone have experience with these? Will they work the same as regular short ribs in my recipe?
Killen, AL (The Shoals)
XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
·

Comments

• hapsterhapster Posts: 6,912
    No idea about the chuck ribs... But as long as they have some fat in them and a little marbling u should be okay
    ·
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 848
    OK. Confused. The chuck is basically the shoulder; no ribs there. It's next to the ribs. In any case, you might want to consider braising instead of roasting. The meat will be tough.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
    ·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,539
    The term "chuck rib" is definitely a little confusing since the chuck is the shoulder, however I have seen them labeled as "beef chuck short ribs" even when the bones were on.  I think the meat is quite similar anyway and cooks about the same.  First time I made short ribs I thought "pot roast on a stick!". 

I think you will be fine using the same recipe.  Does the recipe include a foil/wrapping stage?  I think that might help make them tender.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • There is no foil/wrapping in the recipe, but it does have a braising stage, so hopefully all will be ok.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
    ·
  • Chuck Short Ribs NAMP 130

Also called Asian-style chuck short ribs, this cut is more expensive than plate ribs.  It comes from the Chuck Primal and is cut from ribs 1 to 5 in the shoulder section with most of the surface fat trimmed.  It is a tougher, leaner cut than the plate ribs so it requires more braising time to become tender.

This site references North American Meat Processors Association cut #. 

http://www.chefs-resources.com/Beef-Short-Ribs ;

-The Goat
    Marietta, GA
    XL BGE

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,416
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·