Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Vent Opening Using BBQ Guru DX2

Can anyone tell me what opening I should use on the BGE top vent ?

I have just taken delivery of the BBQ Guru DX2 and it does not mention what I should do with the top vent on the BGE (fully open, closed, 1/2 way ?)
·

Comments

• When I use mine the top vent is just opened by a very small amount once the food is on.

Key Largo,Florida  
    2-LBGE, High Que grates, Kick Ash Baskets, SmokeWear Caps, Adjustable Rig, Woo, Stoker II, Amaz-n-smoker, Thermapen, Rockwood charcoal
    Mini Max, No accessories yet !

Gambrills,Maryland
    2-LBGE, same accessories as in Florida
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,878
    I have an auber stoker and for low and slow smokes I only leave the top vent open a very little bit. I also make sure the temperature is stabilized before I turn the stoker on, I let it bring the egg to temp once and it overshot it.
    ·
  • Thanks for this

Do you know if the "blower" is rain proof... it rains here quite a bit and so I intend to use with the control box under cover but the blower will have to take the rain ?

·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,878
    I've not used my stoker in the rain, but I was going to make something to keep it out of the rain.
    ·