Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Overwhelmed!!! Simple smoked chicken how to.

Options
Hey guys new here..

I have been reading all of the great recipes here and wanna try all of them.  But this will be my 1st time using the egg also.  I'm just looking to do a simple smoked whole chicken. I was going to use the vertical holder.

A quick "how to" or link would be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!!

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options

This is about as simple and great as you will get IMHO. 

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/spatch.htm

• gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    Welcome......Try spatchcock (backbone cut out and bird laid flat open bone side  down) 400 degrees(on dome thermo) raised (to felt line or above) direct (no ceramic between lump and food) for about 1 hour (til IT 165 in breast and about 185 in thigh)..No turning.You will never do it another way again. Enjoy!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app)
    Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook.
    Or, just add a package of legs extra.
    I do not brine the turkey or Chicken.
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time)
    I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan.
    Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180.

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee
    Equal part: Brown Sugar
    ½ part: Black Pepper
    ½ part: Kosher Salt
    ½ part: Garlic Powder
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder
    Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gpsegg
    Options
    Stugots......listen to Mickey.....Thats who I learned this from.....He's the guru on this! You will learn a great deal just following this forum!
    George
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    IMO - spatchcock chicken is a better cook than the beer butt chicken. Both result in good chicken but I just prefer spatched. Either way you go you rub with your favorite rub( I like Loveless Cafe Peach on chicken) get the egg to 375-400* and cook raised direct if spatched. I like to go indirect with a drip pan on the PS if I am standing the bird up. Pull the bird when the breast meat is around 160ish and thighs are 168-170*. Happy cookin

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Stugots
    Options
    Thanks guys....I just need to run to the grill store and get some fire brick or the frame that elevates the grate.  Also would the button thermometer work better in this application??
  • gpsegg
    Options
    Go ahead and invest in a thermapen (instant read thermometer) . One of the most important eggcessories IMO. From now on you will be cooking everything to internal temperature.....not time!
    George
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    You can use regular bricks from HD wrapped in foil. I have been doing so for several years.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    Great advice, I only do spatchcock now.  So simple, even I can do it! 

A Thermapen is a must have in my opinion.  I use mine every time I cook.

Give Mickey's coffee rub a try, that is some good stuff.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Mickey said:

gpsegg said:
    Stugots......listen to Mickey.....Thats who I learned this from.....He's the guru on this! You will learn a great deal just following this forum!
    Those look like stugots on Mickey's egg right there!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited September 2013
    Options
    If you have a setter, you can use an indirect cook for a spatched bird. You can go a little hotter on the dome thermo, 450º. Make sure you have a drip pan elevated off the setter with some wadded foil balls so the drippings do not burn. 
    Suggest no smoke wood for the first cook, it can be quite strong as chicken is so mild. 
    Crispy darker skin, raised direct. Wet or sauced, I use indirect. 
    Good luck, and welcome!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!