Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wings...

Ok, So I have tried and tried and alas I cannot come up with "good" wings. I typically have soaked my wings in hot sauce and then placed on the BGE to cook. Super simple but results leave much to be desired. They often take on the taste of burnt chicken fat so I think i need to try an indirect set up with maybe a drip pan.

Can anyone offer suggestions on how they cook their wings? Wet? Dry? Crispy? Not crispy?  Recipes would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks!

It's the perfect 70 degree weekend in Indiana!!

Thanks.

Comments

• I just let mine soak in some type of buffalo or hot sauce for a day. cook them direct raised around 300-400 and sprinkle ranch dressing powder all over them while cooking.

always turn out fabulous

North Alabama - Roll Tide

LBGE 2013

• Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    I cut the tips off then dust them with rub then cook them 350 indirect plate setter legs up at the felt for 1 hour then pull the plate setter and move them around/flip them until they are the way I want them,  they are always great.
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • Rub, then raised direct @ 400. Sauce after cooking...you can put back on for just a few to caramelize the sauce.
  • I use a dry rub (powdered lemon, pepper, crushed chile, coarse salt) to the wings at room temperature. Put them direct @375 for 45 minutes, flipping them every now and then.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited September 2013
    I usually just put a dry rub on them and cook them indirect raised high in the dome with a drip pan (or simply foil).  I cook around 350-400 for 45 min to an hour depending on how big the wings are.  My go to is to use a simple home made BBQ sauce. I usually make the BBQ sauce, then I make a "hot" version by mixing the 50/50 with Franks hot or wing sauce.   

When I make a batch- I usually leave a few with no sauce (only a dry rub) just for me.  The rub I use has corn starch so they usually come out nice and crispy. 

I have also done this recipe a few times and it is excellent:

@Cazzy is the wing king.  I haven't tried these yet but it is on my list:

BTW..I don't think there is anything wrong with direct.  I have had them cooked direct before by a friend with an egg egg and they were great.  I had good luck with indirect so I have always just used that method.  If you want to stick with direct perhaps try using a raised grid or simply use less lump (create more space between the egg and the fire).  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    edited September 2013
    Direct at about 400 for an hour or so.  Flip maybe every 20 minutes.  Sauce when done.  Here are some pics of my last batch... when first put on.

After coming off of the egg...

After sauce...

I have been making wings for many years and these are by far the best method for me.  They are the least amount of effort and great results. 

Enjoy!!
    Long Island, NY
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    I like to separate the wings.  Spray with a light coat of oil dust with my favorite Dr. BBQ wing rub at 350 indirect.  Once crispy I pull them and sauce them.  Sometimes I pull the platesetter and through them back on grill direct after they are sauced flipping them over once or twice.
  • jscarfo
    jscarfo Posts: 405
    Indirect salt and pepper 425 degrees for 1 hr. do not open do not flip them , they will be crunchy on outside juicy on inside, shack them in your fav sauce and start another batch
  • ive had great success with coating the wings in olive or canola oil and some salt/pepper.  put them on around 275 direct for about 30 minutes.  then bump up the temp to about 350-375 for approximately another 30 min.  turn them as necessary until they have nice even color and as much char as you prefer.  pull them from the egg and sauce them by tossing with your sauce of choice in a stainless mixing bowl.  if you desire, put them back on to caramelize the sauce a bit....or not.  they turn out great either way.  you'll swear they were deep fried.
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    I've found using high temp to be the key for me on the XL.  The batch I did at 350* - 375* did not come out as well as others done at higher temps.  I target 400* and wont cook below 375*. I don't panic if the Egg creeps close to 450* near the end.  I put them on plain or with a little rub; and apply sauce during the last 10 minutes.  I think raised direct are slightly better, but much more work to ensure all get browned equally.  If I'm doing them during the game, I use indirect.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    edited September 2013
    After I put on whatever rub I'm using, I lightly dust the wings with cornstarch and put them in the refrigerator until the cooker is stable at 300F.  This dries the skin out a little and helps with the crispiness. 

Then I cook raised direct for an hour -- 45 minutes of that is with the skin up.  

There are so many roads to amazing wings... just keep trying until you find what works best for you.
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Here is what they look like:
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Now I want wings and my daughter has a soccer tournament all weekend!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• TMay
    TMay Posts: 87

I use the recipe on the bottle of Obie-Cue Yankee Blaster..   only difference is that I also sprinkle on a bit more seasoning when I put them on the grill... 

http://www.obiecue.com/  

Rowlett, Texas
  • Thanks all. Preparing to put them on now. Dusted them with dizzy dust. Going to put on at 400 deg. and flip every 20 minutes. Cannot wait! Thank you everyone for the help!
  • Also Thanks Kristi for the tip. I'm cooking on a raised grid. Should've read closer re: cornstarch prior to grilling. We'll see what we get tho. ;0)