Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

the garbage can lid is your friend!

RRPRRP Posts: 16,776
edited September 2013 in EggHead Forum
Here's a little trick that keeps peace in our family...When I have a messy meal such as these wings that have been marinating for a couple days it really is best to put them on a hot grate at the same time inside our home. Rather than to drip drip drip out the kitchen, across the carpeted porch, across the deck onto the egg a simple garbage can lid is a great carrier! You can buy replacement lids at most any good hardware store for under $10. Isn't that a cheap price to keep peace in the family? LOL

Dunlap, IL

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,451
    Looks like you are using the lid to cook indirect - not a bad idea.  How do you "put them on a hot grate at the same time inside" your home?  Do you heat the grid on the Egg, place it on the lid then add the wings and take it out to the Egg?  I marinate in a ziplock bag, take the whole thing out to the Egg and have no issue with dripping inside the house.  Either way, nice looking wings.
    It's not a science, it's an art. And it's flawed.
    - Camp Hill, PA
  • and it has a handle. neat idea. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • RRPRRP Posts: 16,776
    edited September 2013
    LOL - no I don't cook with it - just to transport my dripping wings. Guess I should have been clearer - I do cook my wings indirect using my foil covered PS with legs up and then grate on that. Stabilize at 400 and that way my grate is very hot. I remove the grate place it in the lid and add my wings then return to the egg. That way my fire doesn't get away from me while the dome is open and I'm loading on the wings one by one. BTW that lid also makes a great shallow pan to clean my grates when the time comes so I don't scratch up the sink. And lastly here are the finished wings.image
    Dunlap, IL
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,861
    Good Guy RRP keeping guys off the couch.
  • gpsegggpsegg Posts: 375
    Is that metal or plastic in photo?
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blue Ridge, Ga.
  • RRPRRP Posts: 16,776
    gpsegg said:
    Is that metal or plastic in photo?
    Metal for sake of rigidity.
    Dunlap, IL
  • HotchHotch Posts: 1,652

What a great idea RRP.

"You’re not a real Texan till you’ve been kicked out of every decent state in America." - Joe Bob Briggs

LBGE, Mini BGE and R&V Fryer

Prosper TX

And your are correct, Texas Red has no Beans