Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fish fillets

Options
I tried cooking a mix of Fluke,Sea Bass & Trigger fish today I was advised by my son who is a chef that I should spray grill with Pam grilling spray and put the fillets directly on the grill well I did as told and they still stuck I was cooking at 500 degrees direct was wondering if any of you Eggheads have ever did this with success if so what do you think I did wrong .My son says that at the restaurant that he works at he grills fillets all the time  with no sticking I/m shaking my head and help would be appreciated .
2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
Long Island N.Y.

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I have put Pam on a paper towel and coated the grid just before I put the fish on with good result. It seems if you spray it early everything burns off. I just saw a non-stick spray that you can spray direct on the grid while hot by Weber that I might try. Most of my fish is done is a CI skillet on a bed of lemons or oranges just depending on the fish.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Fish is so expensive here smack dab in the middle of the country that I have never even tried grilling flaky fish without foil or a cast iron pan. I have used vegetable oil like @Mattman3969 described using a paper towel to apply to the the grate right before putting really lean chicken or turkey on.  Good luck and hope that you figure something out to achieve the result you desire.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Learning to Smoke
    Options
    I grill mahi mahi all the time. I oil the grid right before I put the fish on and have not had sticking issues.  
  • brycos
    brycos Posts: 137
    Options
    Travis style fish!  a little mayo then seasoning rub. Your fish flips like a burger. No mayo taste!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,832
    Options
    brycos said:
    Travis style fish!  a little mayo then seasoning rub. Your fish flips like a burger. No mayo taste!

There goes his head swelling up again.... I wonder if he stole this from his father-in-law too.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Are you sure you aren't trying to flip it to early? If you oiled your grates, the fish should relax its grip when its ready to be flipped. Forcing it early results in it sticking.

Or you can try coating it in a little mayo, works for me and you don't taste it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings