Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Large Egg with its new home as of yesterday. And a couple of questions.

After a year of saving, and a couple of weekends building a table, I have my new egg and homemade table (thanks NakedWhiz for the plans!). The Shower bar as a handle works well, which is good considering the extra weight of the "stones" the Egg is sitting on. Cheap lumber imperfections meant that the stones weren't perfectly flat and level and we had to use a couple of thin metal shims so the Egg wouldn't wiggle, but it is almost all set to go. I say almost because the ceramic fire ring had a 1/2" x 1/4" chip out of it and I need to swap it for one without the chip this evening. Flue and Flame in Cary is where I ordered the Egg and they were very apologetic that the chip wasn't noticed before delivery and have absolutely no objections to swapping it out. I have a small (5+ pound) pork butt thawing in the fridge, and am looking forward to a day of smoking to make some pulled pork as the first item off the BGE. Will be working to learn the temperature control enough that I am willing to attempt a test turkey, and if that goes well the oven will be freed up for Thanksgiving and we will do the Bird on the Egg.  : )

The table will be garaged between uses (the reason for the wheels) so I am looking forward to a long time before I have to re-stain the wood, but even a little more protection is useful, especially to help protect any electric probes/thermometers/wireless broadcasters. The questions I have are whether or not people who do high temp cooking have modified their tables with an umbrella, and if so have you found any downsides? I am thinking of drilling a hole and using a patio style umbrella which will shade the table a bit and keep any rain off. I am debating whether I should do it on the table side and leave the Egg exposed, or try it more centrally and cover the whole thing. 

Comments