Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spiced Salmon Kebabs

We like to try and eat as much seafood as possible since its such a healthy protein, but I often get bored with salmon. Dizzy Pig is great on it, but we've done that a lot. We've tried pestos and salsas, but I wanted something a bit different last night. Came across a recipe on Bon Appetit for salmon kebabs. I've never done a fish kebab, so why not? The recipe didn't call for squash and zukes, but I had some that needed using so I tossed them in as a last minute addition. The rub had fresh oregano, sesame seeds, cumin and red pepper flakes in it. Sounded simple, but good.

Got the kebabs all made up while the Egg was warming up to 400F. Tossed the salmon on and turned and flipped ever two minutes or so.

Was done after about 10 minutes.

Plated it up with some couscous and a salad. Pretty healthy and pretty tasty if you ask me. I like how the salmon had extra surface area to hold the spices and get more char on it while still not drying out. image

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Beautiful pictures, Grif.  I'm not a salmon fan but you make them look delicious.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Logger
    Logger Posts: 309
    Bookmarked
    OKC area  XL - Medium Eggs
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Looks interesting, not a huge fan a Salmon but the wife requires it sometimes. Just discovered the Mahi at Trader Joes last week and I am sold, cheap and real good. Are those raisins on your salad?

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Awesome!  I love salmon and this is a really cool new way to try it.  

I'm guessing dried cranberries on the salad. 

"You'll go Lansberry for this cranberry 'cause its dinner she wrote!"

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

I'd hit that plate!

I  know what you mean by salmon getting boring. These sound like a great cook for the mini (which has been sadly underused).

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Thanks @Village_Idiot. We're trying to add more seafood to our diet to be healthier. I actually hated salmon until I tried grilling it after college. Now its not so bad.

@Tuttle871 we did Mahi the other week, but I wasn't thrilled with what I came up with. Need to try it a few other ways. The fish was good, my recipe was just bland. It was a salad topper mix with cranberries and walnuts and maybe some other stuff. I forget.

@SmokeyPitt yep, cranberries.

@caliking I hear ya. I need to get some time on in my mini. Think the last time I used it was to roast hatch chiles. I seem to go in phases were one starts to get used all the time and the other is neglected. Time for a mini cook!

Rowlett, Texas

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Funny, I can never get tired of salmon. I never get to eat it because SWMBO "despises" it. I'll have to give try on the mini since it is usually a "eating for one" cook. At least my daughter likes it.
  • TUTTLE871
    What I did with my Mahi was made a Hatch Chili Lime marinade, similar to your chicken wing one. Marinade and fish in a food saver bag and vacuumed sealed for two days. It was supposed to be one day but one thing led to another and it didn't get done. Was some of the best Mahi I have had in a whie.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    That sounds tasty @Tuttle871

Rowlett, Texas

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    That looks awesome.  I have a freezer full of salmon, I am going to try that.  
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • Chris_Wang
    Chris_Wang Posts: 1,254
    Awesome.

Ball Ground, GA

ATL Sports Homer

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Nice cook Griff! We are like you and getting bored with the same o same o. Will try this for sure.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• pwg56
    pwg56 Posts: 93
    TUTTLE871 said:
    What I did with my Mahi was made a Hatch Chili Lime marinade, similar to your chicken wing one. Marinade and fish in a food saver bag and vacuumed sealed for two days. It was supposed to be one day but one thing led to another and it didn't get done. Was some of the best Mahi I have had in a whie.
    The lime didn't start to cook the fish after 2 days marinating?
  • TUTTLE871
    pwg56 said:
    TUTTLE871 said:
    The lime didn't start to cook the fish after 2 days marinating?

Didn't really go over board with the lime just maybe a tbl spoon or so just to give a flavor. I was shooting for more of the hatch chili taste. I imaging it did a hair but it didn't turn it into ceviche.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.