Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help. I just bought a chunk-o-chest

Csg
Csg Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought an 11.5lb brisket and now I need detailed inst. on how to cook it. Direct- indirect? With fire brick or without? What temp to cook at and how long per lb? Whay temp. to take it off at? I really appreciate al the past advice that you have given me.

Comments

• JohnL
    JohnL Posts: 27
    Csg, I'm by no means an expert, as I'm doing my first brisket on the BGE this evening as well. Maybe we can walk each other through this and see how it turns out. I'll tell ya what I've done thus far. It's been marinating since about 10 am, and I'm planning on putting it on at 6ish this evening. I'm going to use a drip pan filled with the left over marinade and dilute it with water and keep water in the drip pan until its completed. I'm shooting for an internal temp of 195*, then wrap in foil and let stand for 45 to 60 minutes and hopefully let it finish at 200* internal. I'm planning on about 2 to 2.5 hours per pound, throwing mine in the 20 to 25 hour cooking range. I think a dome temp of about 250* with a water filled drip pan should work nicely for a good lo and slow cook. When are you planning on putting that chunk-o-chest on humpty?[p]John

• g-o
    g-o Posts: 39
    Csg, Just scroll down, in the last two days all possible brisket questions have been answered.

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Csg,[p]Do you have a whole brisket or just the flat? Is there a decent fat cap on it? [p]As a starting point, take a look at Nature Boy's recipe (link below) for the brisket he did at Eggfest a few months ago. You'll find JJ's killer dry rub in the recipe section. [p]I've always done briskets indirect since I'm concerned direct heat will dry this lean cut out. The 13.5 pounder I did yesterday took 22 hours, most of that at 225 dome. Next time I'll do 250. I think you can figure on 2 to 2.5 hours per pound, depending on the brisket's thickness among other variables.[p]Many here disagree with me on this - but in my experience, doneness is best gauged by texture & tenderness rather than internal temp. As I told JohnL, this latest brisket was unquestionably done at 181 internal. I'd start fork testing at around 180; if the fork slides in easily, you've got a tender and sliceable brisket.[p]Best wishes for your cook, and let us know how it turns out -[p]Cathy
    [ul][li]NB's Eggtoberfest brisket[/ul]
  • Csg
    JohnL,I just put mine on. It is 11.5lb and I needed it around 2:00 tomorrow. I hope it will be done. I didn't have time to marinate it. Good luck with yours.

• Csg
    Cat, Thanks for the advice. I did read the link and I have put mine on. I need it tomorrow afternoon so I didn't have time to marinate it. I hope it will be done. It is a whole 11.5 lb. Thanks again. I really enjoy reading all of the posts on this forum and I am learning alot. I have only had my egg about 2 months so I have alot to learn.

• Cat
    Cat Posts: 556
    Csg,[p]I've never marinated a brisket. Nature Boy's was delicious, but they're plenty good without.[p]You should be done with time to spare. If so, wrap the brisket in several layers of foil, then in a towel, and put it in a warm cooler. It will be moist & still hot even several hours later.[p]Have fun -[p]Cathy
  • JohnL,
    Man, you got a grip on this baby dontcha!!
    Your plan sounds absolutely perfect. What size is your brisket?[p]Have a blast!
    NB

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Cat,
    Thanks Cathy. I agree, marinated briskets are delicious, but a healthy coat of rub put on immediately before cooking also does wonders....especially if you score the fat cap (which I learned from you on my first chunk-o-chest).[p]A generous slathering of mustard also works wonders....especially if you do it the night before. The combo of the rub and the mustard makes it just like a marinade. I wish briskets were easier to find around here. I am gonna start asking around at the grocery stores...I need to do me one soon.[p]Cheers!!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Csg,
    At 250* dome temp it will be done long before 2:00 P.M. I marinate briskets about half the time. Nothing difficult about them. Just takes time to cook. The flat will be done before the point and needs to be sperated and the point returned to the EGG to finish cooking. [p][p][p][p]

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    JJ, getting ready for 'Pulled Beef' - your Q SAuce is simmering as I hit the keys. This time I even followed directions. Thanks!

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Gfw,
    Save me a big bite.

• JohnL
    JohnL Posts: 27
    Nature Boy, the brisket weighed 10.5 lbs. Everything thus far is doing great. I used your marinade recipe with the addition of adding about 5 fat cloves of garlic. I left the garlic and marinade in the drip pan and let it dry up. The roasted garlic smell is amazing, and I'll soon know if it added anything to the finished flavor of the brisket. It's been on about 20 hours now, and point internal is 185 and flat at 190, so about another hour or so and that baby is coming off. Its already very tender. I'll post results when its done.[p]John