Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butt Naked Spatchcock Chicken

The wife and son are not crazy about even crispy skin on the chicken so I figured I would give this a shot.  Anyone ever tried this?

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Comments

• Finished Product...

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    No, my SWMBO loves the crispy skin

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Leave the skin then pull it off after cooking it helps to protect the meat.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Like a lit said... The skin can come off later.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Looks just fine to me, with oe without skin. 
    We do a lot of boneless skinless CB, so a skinless spatchcock is not all that different. 
    I do brine it to keep it a tad moister. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    I cook chicken skinless all the time now. Its always moist and juicy if you cook to temp. I wouldn't cook with skin on and then strip the skin off, since that's a waste of rub. Haven't done a skinless spatchcock though, so would love to know how it turns out. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:

I cook chicken skinless all the time now. Its always moist and juicy if you cook to temp. I wouldn't cook with skin on and then strip the skin off, since that's a waste of rub. Haven't done a skinless spatchcock though, so would love to know how it turns out. 

I agree 100%

XLBGE 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited September 2013

caliking said:
    Not exactly true since I eat any skin that my wife or kids removes from their chicken ;)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I always pull the skin back and cover with rub..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The skinless spatchcock turned out fantastic.  As far as being moist, it was no different than any I have done with the skin on.  The best part was having the rub covering the entire surface of the meat on the bird.  As mentioned above it was really no different than cooking bonless & skinless thighs.  I really like the skin myself, but I was just trying to make it a bit more appetizing for the family.  I will definately do birds this way again from time to time.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama

• jlsm
    jlsm Posts: 1,011
    I'm with you, @Tydfan
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    Much healthier I suppose. I'll give them the a shot next time since I'm supposed to be eating healthier these days.
    Dunedin, FL
  • My family is a little weird.  Those who like dark meat, want the skin on.  Those who prefer the breasts like the skin off, so that's how I cook them.  Cut the skin off the breasts but leave on the rest of the chicken.  Still cooking to temp and have had no issue with the breasts and thighs not hitting temp at the same time. 
    Portland, OR
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited September 2013
    cfwilen said:
    My family is a little weird.  Those who like dark meat, want the skin on.  Those who prefer the breasts like the skin off, so that's how I cook them.  Cut the skin off the breasts but leave on the rest of the chicken.  Still cooking to temp and have had no issue with the breasts and thighs not hitting temp at the same time. 
    I like skin, but I have no problem with bare breasts.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.